Series/Split/Parallel Wiring On Duncan Hot Stack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by barebones, May 25, 2005.

1. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this:

I just wired up my Duncan Hot Stack bridge pickup, and, for the heck of it, I wired in the 3-way toggle for series/split/parallel operation. So far I'm pretty pleased with the results. Series is, predictably, big and loud sounding, with a good balance of lows and highs. Parallel sounds a little more "scooped" with some really nice, bright highs. Split, however, is a tad underwhelming, and I just wanted to see if the results I'm getting are to be expected. Basically, in split mode, the output is lower, which I would expect, but there's also a tremendous loss of treble, which I didn't expect. Does this sound right to you all? It's actually not a bad sound, just a little bit bigger contrast to the other settings than I had expected.

Also, does anyone know if I could swap out the mini toggle switch for a typical large sized 3-way switch, such as those you see on Les Pauls? I'm thinking it would work, but perhaps there is some difference between the two types of switches that I am not aware of.

Anyway, as always, thanks for your time and assistance.

2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

to my knowledge there should be an increase in treble not a loss becuase you're decreasing the resistance. You might double check the wiring or perhaps try splitting to the other coil. I'm guessing there probably wouldn't be enough difference between parallel and single to bother with but that's relative.

Don't know about the Gibson style switch. If it's the same or like their old pup select switches you definetly want to look into what goes into the cavity cause those old pup selects are relatively huge on the bottom. If the issue you have is with one of those little nipple lever type mini toggles, they make mini-switches with a much larger, plastic covered lever.
  3. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Yes, I thought the treble would increase as well. I will try your recommendation of switching the wires in order to try to access the other coil. I'm just not sure which wire is going where, though, as Duncan basically just tells you what color to solder where, so I guess I'll have to play around with it a little bit. (I have an email in to them as well, so maybe they'll help clue me in a little more.)

Regarding the switch, I do have room in the control cavity, as this bass came equiped with one once upon a time anyway. However, looking at a Gibson style switch yesterday, it looks like there may be a difference in the solder points, so I'm not sure I'll bother. I think you're suggestion of finding a larger switch of this same type I'm currently using is the best idea.

Thanks for the info. I'll post any info Duncan passes on here, just in case anyone else is watching this thread.

4. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    For those interested, I received the email below in response to my questions. Pretty cool of them to get back to me so quickly, I think.

Here's what they had to say:

Hi Matt,

With stacks, the split mode tends to be a bit weird---mainly because in series mode, that PU is designed to already sound like a single coil. So when you split it, you take away half of the output. I would recommend just using a two-way mini toggle and wire it for series/parallel. I think you will find that a more useful set-up. You cannot use a Gibson style 3-way toggle, though. It does not work the same way at all, and so you simply cannot get the versatility from it that is needed to get the wiring right.

Best Regards,

Scott Miller
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines Pickups
    "For Tone That Sets You Apart"

5427 Hollister Ave.
    Santa Barbara, Ca 93111