Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Series vs Parallel Question, S1 switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by megiddo, Aug 4, 2004.

1. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I've got a set of DiMarzio DP123's on the way for my MIM Fender Jazz. I'd like to get them wired like the new Fenders with an S1 switch, so I can switch from series to parallel on the fly. Can I get an after-market version of the S1 switch, and if I can't, which way should I have it wired?

The pups are going to be installed at the same time as a Badass II bridge and some TI Jazz Flats. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I haven't seen an after market version of the S1 Switch, but any 250K audio taper pot with DPDT (double pole, double throw) will do you - go to stewmac.com, guitarelectronics.com etc.

Then just wire it up as a regular series/parallel mod. Don't get confused by the DM123 instructions, which give you instructions on how to wire each pickup individually in series/parallel

3. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Would I only replace one of the pup volume pots with the push / pull pot and leave the other volume and tone pot alone?

I say "I" like I'm going to do it, but I'm putting it in the shop to have the pups put in along with the bridge and then I'm going to have them put on the strings and adjust the intonation. Can't wait to hear how it will sound.

BTW David, thanks for the great transaction on the pups and bridge! :p

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, usually the neck volume pot is the one replaced. When in series mode, the bridge volume pot will have no effect and neck volume is 'master'

5. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Cool, thanks man!