Series vs. Parallel Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eshears, Sep 12, 2001.

1. eshears

eshears Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I'm in research mode for building my own bass. I'm looking at passive Bart soapbars w/ active pre-amp.

What are the differences (tonally, output, etc.) between wiring 2 pickups in either series or parallel mode? Also, would it be possilbe to install a switch to toggle between these 2 modes?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Series is fatter and may be louder.

You lose the ability to blend the 2 pickups.

You can install a switch to go from one mode to another.
  3. Berme

May 11, 2001
    so, since you are currently amplifying your bass signal thru an active on-board preamp (which allows you to get a louder output and a wide repertory of sounds from a fat, wood timbre to a bright, punchy tone), why would you wire your pickups in series mode? Wiring them in parallel will let you blend your neck and bridge pickups, which, theorically, still gives you more sound options.
  4. eshears

eshears Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I hadn't realized wiring in series would eliminate the ability to blend the pickups...I had only heard that it produced a fatter tone. Versatility is important to me, so it sounds like parellel is the way to go.

Thanks again,
  5. Berme

May 11, 2001
    Just thinking...wiring single coils in series will make the series/parallel work as double coil converter (eliminating hum and sounding as a real humbucker with fatter tone). Interesting option, isn´t it?;)
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    STOP to think, mate!
    You said Bart soapbars, right? As far as I know, they are all humbuckers, right?

Anyway, you can wire ONE humbucker in four modes! Serial, parallel, singelcoil left and single coil right. And in or out of phase:D That adds up to 8 modes!!!! or was it six....This can be accomplished thruogh one four way and one two way switch.

Then, if you have two HB's, you can do the same to the other HB, gaining 8x8=36 sounds. or 32....

On top of that you have the blending option, which will not be killed by serial mode, and possibly a pre-amp with EQ.

What may occur is, that with both HB's in single coil mode, they may cancel eachother. But, having an out of phase option, this problem will be solved.

For more experianced information, contact, or PM in this database to Luis Fabara.
  7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    This isnt true at all.
    Just read Rick Turner´s article on series Wiring Pickups and Series Blending Pickups.
  8. Berme

May 11, 2001
    where´s that article?
  9. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have a Carvin LB70 with the MM style HB pickup replaced with a Basslines Musicman and the J99 sinlge coil in the neck. I also had a 3 way swtich put in (series/split/parallel). The Carvin blends the pickups fine when the MM is in all 3 modes (including series). It all depends on your wiring and the phasing of the pickups.
    Just FYI