Series vs. parallell? Phase problems?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Sep 16, 2003.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    For the *really* technical...

Just a thought; does connecting speakers in series introduce delays or phase changes, and if so, how much? The hypothesis would be that wiring all speakers in a multiple-speaker system in parallell would let all speakers "see" a signal at the same time, whereas connecting them in series (taking into account many feet of speaker coil) would introduce "speed-of-light" delays between each speaker that put them a tiny bit out of phase with each other?

I'm sure there is no practical difference, just a theoretical thought experiment, maybe someone has done the math? Would the effect he noticeable to the ear as different sound characteristics of the cabinet?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    My guess would be that if it made a huge difference, every 4x10 manufacturer that could afford to do so would use OEM 32 ohm drivers for their 8 ohm cabinets. I believe that only Ampeg does that.

The theoretical calculations could probably be done with some Forier analysis which I've forgotten how to spell, much less do in the 20+ years I've been out of engineering school.

Sounds like a good doctoral thesis... Get grants, go out and buy every 4x cabinet on the market. Have Eminence custom wind 32 ohm drivers for each series/parallel cabinet so that you can swap the drivers out and make measurements, etc.

Have fun!!!!
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I prefer parallel wiring, but it has nothing to do with the sound. I just like to know that if one speaker blows, the others will keep working. You don't get that luxury with series wiring.