Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Series vs. parallell? Phase problems?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Sep 16, 2003.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    For the *really* technical...

Just a thought; does connecting speakers in series introduce delays or phase changes, and if so, how much? The hypothesis would be that wiring all speakers in a multiple-speaker system in parallell would let all speakers "see" a signal at the same time, whereas connecting them in series (taking into account many feet of speaker coil) would introduce "speed-of-light" delays between each speaker that put them a tiny bit out of phase with each other?

I'm sure there is no practical difference, just a theoretical thought experiment, maybe someone has done the math? Would the effect he noticeable to the ear as different sound characteristics of the cabinet?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My guess would be that if it made a huge difference, every 4x10 manufacturer that could afford to do so would use OEM 32 ohm drivers for their 8 ohm cabinets. I believe that only Ampeg does that.

The theoretical calculations could probably be done with some Forier analysis which I've forgotten how to spell, much less do in the 20+ years I've been out of engineering school.

Sounds like a good doctoral thesis... Get grants, go out and buy every 4x cabinet on the market. Have Eminence custom wind 32 ohm drivers for each series/parallel cabinet so that you can swap the drivers out and make measurements, etc.

Have fun!!!!

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I prefer parallel wiring, but it has nothing to do with the sound. I just like to know that if one speaker blows, the others will keep working. You don't get that luxury with series wiring.