Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Series wiring on a PJ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by birminghambass, Mar 3, 2006.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Has anyone ever tried this?

2. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Anyone???

3. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
  4. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks, but I know how to do it. I was wondering if anyone has done this to a PJ and how it sounds.

5. Hello Birmingham,

I did this to my Yamaha RBX-170 PJ...it's a great addition to the bass' sound for sure...it sounds like a big humbucker in series...big lows and low-mids with a little loss in the highs without sounding muddy...it was worth the 45 minutes of soldering and the 10 dollar push-pull pot.

How's things in Birmingham? Nice spot. I spent a week before doing some work at the US Steel Fairfield works and pigged out at Joe's crab shack and Ralph and Kakoo's (I LOVE SEAFOOD :D)

Kerry

6. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I did a push/pull pot thing to my p/j for series/parallel. Master vol. is for both when in series or just the P and also another vol. for the bridge j when in parallel.
    It was a great add on.
    And to boot, because of my shielding job, I can run the bridge j by itself with almost no hum.

7. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I totally dig it on my custom PJ build. I wired a simple vol/ vol/ tone setup with a dpdt switch on the tone. it's great for adding more punch.

But the beauty comes when you play it through an alreayd pushed tube amp (think bassman or something). It's the oldest trick in the book but you can push your amp into overdrive by raising the inductance of the pickups collectively (wiring in series)

8. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Well I did it (push/pull pot) to my SB-2 and I am very happy with the results. The 2 pickups is series mode sounds much better than it did before. Much less scooped with just enough highs and grunt in the low mids.

9. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i'm doing the same to my ibanez sr400. i'm going to gut the active eq (its complete garbage anyway) and then have Volume/Blend/Tone/and a Switch for Series/Parallel of the Two Pickups. I'll have a left over hole.. any other suggestions? maybe a second tone?

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Instead of a tone knob, why not bass/treble? Or, you could get really ambitious, throw in a new preamp, and go with bass/treble and vari-mid stacked pots...

11. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i kinda wanted to shy away from active eqs. i prefer doing all eqing on separate pedals/the amp itself.