1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Series10 Fretless 5 sting MIK. Anyone have any experience with these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zakm0n, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Zakm0n

Zakm0n Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I found a made in korea series10 5 string fretless bass at a pawn shop for $125. I couldnt really hear the thing because all they had to try it out on was a peavey acoustic guitar amp. It's got a p/j passive setup with vol/vol/tone. It's a neat bass, but I don't know what I'd be getting myself into with it. Anyone had one of their fretlesses or any of their basses in general? I have no idea about the brand, and there is very very scarce information out there on series10, let alone a fretless.

2. phatbassplayer

phatbassplayer

Apr 7, 2009
    Illinois
    I have owned 2 series 10 electric guitars from the 80's when they were most popular.. fit & finish were ho hum.. electronics were run of the mill for taiwan guitars of the 80's.. anotherword not too good.. Bodies of both guitars were NOT solid wood but were laminated wood, playwood more or less... however, I did upgrade the elctronics in both, upgraded tuners and bridges eventually... they were good beaters for practice with the band.. played gigs with them.. not all too bad after upgrades.. junk before the upgrades.. if your just starting out or wanting to have a platform to start a project on I wouldn't recommend them because the 2 I had owned were cheap & bought cheaply.

I would recommend buying something from Rondo Music Home Page if you are on a budget or just starting out because they have great prices, much better build quality than any series 10 ever had, and after a good set-up the stuff @ Rondo is usually gig worthy without much up grades unless your a tone snob..

Just my 2 cents

3. Zakm0n

Zakm0n Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Hah, I'm worse than a tone snob. I'm a Warwick snob, but I really want a fretless at minimal cost. That's why this thing caught my eye really. I dont have a lot of money, but I could afford to upgrade the pickups in this thing, the only thing that throws me off is that this thing is a 5 sting but the pickups look like 4 sting pickups....

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Youd be much better off with one of the lower price fretless models from ESP Ltd, Ibanez , or Dean imo. The series ten are low grade stuff like sx basses imo.

5. phatbassplayer

phatbassplayer

Apr 7, 2009
    Illinois
    Here's a can of worms getting ready to open up... Many of the TB'ers own and swear by Rondo basses..lol