serious decision???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatBoi5, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Aguilar 4x10

12 vote(s)
  2. Aguilar 2x12

5 vote(s)
  3. Bergantino 4x10

0 vote(s)
  4. Bergie 2x12

4 vote(s)
  5. Bergie 3x10

5 vote(s)
  1. I am selling my two old cabs and moving to a new set up with only one super cab. Heres the set up. Aguilar 659 pre, Carver pm1400 poweramp(700w a side @4ohms) will stay. Going are (and this is if I can sell them) SWR Bigfoot with Eminece speakers (800watts @4ohms) And a Hartke 2x15 with Eminece speakers (600watts @ 4) now I am a serious B string player (not a slapper) and I need some cab that is going to deliver the meaty low end. I know may have experience with the choices I have narrowed my search down to so I you could offer a little help...My sound (not stlye) is a bit of Dirk Lance (incubus) Pnut(311), With a nice touch of Lenny Kravitz old school warmth.

PS I am not a huge user of high end tone, so the inclusion of a tweeter on a cab is meaningless
  2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I'm guessing if you add a Bergantino 322 to your list, it will get more votes than the rest. certainly over the 310. I heard that Bergie discontinued the 310. You can still get some as I'm aware of few bass shops still have some in stock.

The Bergie 322 is: 1x12 and 2x10's with the legendary Bergie horn in one 4 ohm cabinet. Looks to be the best of all worlds from what I can tell. Check it out ..and add the 322 to your poll. See what results you get.

I'm leaning toward a Stewart World 2.1 amp or the QSC PLX2402 amp with a Demeter VTBP-201 Preamp into a Bergie 322 for my new rig. Should be quite outstanding from what fellow TB'ers say. Then again, rumor has it that Jim Bergantino has a new preamp. But that will be topic for another thread.
  3. I have been a/b ing my Berg HT322 and HT212 all weekend. They are both fabulous. Still have alot of testing to do and especially on the job/live. I won't be going into the arena again until Feb 21, we are regrouping things sort of a winter break.

So far the 322 sounds louder that the 212 at the same levels. 322 sound deeper, darker and rounder. 212 had some real sweet tricks too. My original purpose for expanding my Bergantino collection was I felt the 322 might be punchier in smaller rooms because of the two 10" drivers. I've used the 212 on the job quite a few time now and it cuts through the mix superbly since I got the Demeter and QSC2402. My Mesa 400+ did not do the job. Anyway, I have not road tested the 322 and that to me is the only true test. I don't care how good a cab sounds, if it doesn't cut it's usless to me. I'm sure it will fair just fine, or I wouldn't have bought it , but I know it will be different than the 212.

The biggest differnce between the two is the 212 sounds a little thinner and it shimmers more on the high end. I was able to get close with the 322 by making sure the horn attenuator is ALL the way full, (it's a "cut only" device unlike all the other Bergs that have the Flat in the middle/12 o'clock add or cut knob.) I didn't care for the 322 as much when the horn was cut even the slightest it was way to midrange for me. My passive basses sound better through the 322. My acitve bass sounds better going into the 212, and all my conclusions are just "so far." I will keep you updated if your interesed.
  4. i didnt really include the 322 because I thought it might be a little light in the ass for what I want.
  5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have heard that the 322 in fact might have a bit more low end and maybe even more punch. I just heard there is a review in the newest issue of Bass Player. They gave the 322 all 5's except for portability. (4.5) That's a darn near perfect score! It weighs around 93 lbs I think. But, in its defense, it has good wheels and is the same dimensions as the Bergie 310 I think. ... and pretty close to the size of every 4x10 cab on the market.
  6. HT-322 = BIG BOOTAY
    nuff said
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    If the 322 was out when I got my 3/10, I probably would have gone for that as my second Bergie........
    ..but I love the 2/12 massive low end & great top end......I don't think you would regret either, because Jim just makes A very fine product. In fact, you can call him and talk about your needs......he is awesome in the support department, the best I've seen!