1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Serious Electric Bass by Joel Di Bartolo - solved question about exercise

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bherman, Aug 28, 2017.

1. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I've been working my way through this book for the past several years and have gotten to some sections that are stumping me (chord inversions in the Five-Position system). Thought I'd check and see if anyone else is working with this book (or has in the past) that I could pm with to see if I could get more clarity.

Thuddy Waters (see post below) suggested that I post it as a general question for all, not just those who own/use the book, so here goes.

The exercise that was stumping me deals with Diatonic 7th Chord inversions. I was having trouble figuring out how the chord progressions move through the changes on each note of the chord.

The Di Bartolo book spends a great deal of time on learning chords and scales in five positions for all keys. The positions are named for the degree of the scale in which the position starts. For example, Position 3-4 starts on the 3rd scale step. In C Maj the third degree is E, so position 3-4 starts with the open E string; with me so far?

In the first part of the exercise, the objective is to learn to play all of the Diatonic 7th chords in each position. So for C in 3-4 position (starting with the open E string), you start with Em7, then Fmaj7, G7, Am7, and so on.

The next part of the exercise was what had me stumped. It is based on the same premise as above (key of C, starting in position 3-4 with the open E string), but then has you play the inversions for each chord (root, 3rd, 5th, and 7th), based on the starting note. So for C in position 3-4 (starting with the open E string), the four chord inversions are: Em7 (root); Cmaj7 (1st inversion Cmaj7/E); Am7 (2nd inversion Am7/E); and Fmaj7 (3rd inversion Fmaj7/E).

It then goes on to have you stat with the next note - so rather than open E, its F - and do the same thing; root and 3 inversions in C major, all starting with the note F. So its Fmaj7 (root); Dm7 (2nd inversion Dm7/F); Bm7b5 (3rd inversion Bm7b5/F) and G7 (3rd inversion G7/F). You continue on, still in the same position, and go through all of the chords and their inversions starting with G, A, B, C, etc. You then move on to the next position on the neck (in C its position 5, which starts the G - the fifth degree of the scale), and do the same thing. Then for all of the remaining key signatures. Needless to say, I'll be working on this one for a long time!

After hours of staring at this I figured out the pattern and answered my own question, but thought I'd go ahead and post this in case any of you are looking for a challenging exercise. I recommend the book for anyone looking to really learn their way around the neck - I work on one piece of this at a time in a different key every week. Its taken me 2 or 3 years to get maybe halfway through the book.

The author, Joel Di Bartolo, passed away a few years ago, but the book is still available. Enter at your own risk.....

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. I have that book but I haven't started into it yet.

3. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I use the book and like it very much. Will gladly help if possible, shoot me a PM with a bit more detailed question if possible.

Cheers!

No Moadat likes this.
  4. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    will do, thx!

No Moadat likes this.
  5. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Why not just post the question here on the forum so that everyone can benefit from it?

Spin Doctor likes this.
  6. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I can try doing so - its pretty detailed and based on a long exercise in the book, but that might be worth doing. Will do so later today.....

Edit - posted the information in my OP above. I stared at it long enough to answer my own questions, but went ahead and posted it anyway in case anyone found it to be useful.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  7. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I don’t understand what he’s talking about regarding shifting on page 53 chapter 4. I’m trying to post a picture of it but it’s not working. Does anybody know of any YouTube video that shows this being done?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021