Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Serious Electric Bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by minkis, Aug 28, 2002.

1. minkis

minkis

Sep 8, 2000
    I have a question about this book. in the second section there are exercises on subdividing. the author says to play the exercises with the feel and subdivisions listed before them. the first two exercises are written as straight quarter notes and it says the feel is jazz and the subdivision is eighth note triplets. but the third exercise says to play with a rock feel and straight eighth note subdivision. but it is already written that way. if you subdivided the example more then it would become sixteenth notes. am i playing these exercises wrong? are they already subdivided when they are written out? if anyone else has this book could you please help me out? thank you.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

(thread moved. no big whoop :) )

3. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    It's hard to answer without actually seeing it but what I think they are getting at is to play the eighth notes with the two different feels.
    Eight notes with the triplet/jazz feel are played by tying the first two notes of the triplet so that that when played the second note is shorter than the first therefore getting that swing/shuffle feel. When looking at regular eight notes and told to play them with a jazz feel this is what they mean. To swing them so that the second note of each eighth note is shorter than the first. When playing the eighth notes with rock feel the two eighth notes are even. Hope this helps

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Huh? Hard to answer what? I feel like I just walked into the middle of a movie. What's going on?

Where's Buttercup?

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmm. Very interesting post. But, wouldn't you say that generally most jazz tunes ask for you to play more than just eight notes? I mean, I'll play eight notes in two bars, sometimes even 1!!! Can you believe it?!

I can't.

6. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Sorry guys.
    This post was a reply to a forum member that wanted to know the difference between straight eighths and swing eigths in an exercise book he was working out of. I have no idea how this got to be a thread of its own.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Originally posted by minkis
    the first two exercises are written as straight quarter notes and it says the feel is jazz and the subdivision is eighth note triplets.

See the Straight 1/8th.
    Feel them as "swung".
    Count-
    l1_a2_a3_a4_al

See, the "1_a" is actually the BEAT divided into 3 'equal' parts; the 1st note of the triplet is tied to the 2nd note of the triplet. The 3rd part is then played as you approach the following beat.
    So, now consider that "1_a" is TWO 'notes' within a "3" feel(the triplet). "3 vs. 2" feel?
    I guess, on paper, that supposed to approximate the swing feel.

...but the third exercise says to play with a rock feel and straight eighth note subdivision. but it is already written that way.

Straight-Rock 1/8ths
    l1&2&3&4&l

Nail 'em.