1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Serious Ibanez G.A.S. Need help and opinions quick!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raw N Low, May 6, 2010.

1. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I was at my local music store and noticed that they had a pre-lawsuit Ibanez Fender Jazz copy. It had a few nicks here and there but, played beautifully. The pre-amp was a bit weak even for a passive bass (my SX puts out more).

Anyway they are asking $449.95 and I think this is a one in a million chance. I have a few basses and I was going to upgrade a Gary Willis GW35 that I don't play anymore.

Do you guys think that trading in a Gary Willis low end is worth the vintage Ibby?

2. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Uhh no. And that's saying something cause I love Ibanez

Unless of course you like the bass THAT MUCH. Still, why not get a squier? You could pick up one off eBay for less than $200 USD.

3. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Very good point. However I don't the need the Squire. The only reason is because I'm curious if a vintage Japanese made bass is worth it. I have tons of basses and don't really need it. Hence the GAS attack. So the Gary Wilis is most definitely worth more than the vintage Ibby right? I've got 8 basses and the Gary is my second to weakest link. I won't even bother trading in my SX bass because it's the old headstock and I see those fetching a pretty penny in 20 yrs. LOL

4. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    LOL I see, that vintage Ibby isn't even close to the GWB. Sure, it's nice and cool cause it's old, but it's not worth the GWB. I'd kill for a GWB lol

5. Akshat

Akshat

Dec 7, 2007
    New Delhi,India
    Keeping the Groove staying out of Treble
    ^word

6. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    The sad thing is I would trade the SX PJ Ash, but I still think although I bought it at $100.00 it still would be worth more than the vintage Ibby.

7. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Hmmm I'd say AT THE MOMENT they are about the same. Which one sounds better?

8. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    The Ibby had a way better neck (Think Geddy Lee), but the SX has a stronger pre-amp. I'd like to say that I could save the Ibby with warmer strings and different electronics. I hate the fact that they want $260.00 down for lay a way and want if paid off in thirty days...or maybe I'm just poor.:crying:

9. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Well, it's definitely not worth 450. You can get a vin Fender off eBay for 500-700 sooo a vin Ibby for 450 still isn't that great of a deal. I'd say offer them 300 if you REALLY want it

10. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    You know what...your right. I'm got some ant-acid for my G.A.S. and heartburn and your totally right. $450 for a Ibby that old that is a Fender copy is just too much. If he would have taken $40 for lay-a-way with no rush I might have done it. I've got too much gold in my collection to make any cuts. I have a Ibby 405QM that is "meh", but it's going to Nebraska to be traded for a four string Artcore with a case.

...can't win 'em all... :scowl:

*update* I just called the music store and told them to take it off hold. I will find a better deal next time.

11. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Lol I love to see a fellow Ibby fan. I'm planning to modify a P sometime soon... I accidentally destroyed my first bass (a heavily modded Ibby GSR 190) and since I have two more Ibby's, I think it's time to break down and get a P to replace that GSR

12. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Sorry to nit pick but I can be a bit OCD sometimes. Passive basses don't have pre amps. They do however have differend kinds of pickups with differend output levels.

13. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I've owned so many Ibby's it's not even funny. I shouldn't even be sad seeing how I'm getting Ibby Artcore that I'm getting this month. Fenders and Ibanez are my favorites. I have other that are fillers between those two. Speaking of modified I had a LTDSRX08 that was modded...great bass for the money.

14. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I learn something new everyday! :)

Let's just say that the passive SX sounds louder and fuller than the Ibby did. I don't know if it was the actual amp I was playing out of or if it was the strings. The neck felt really good. Here is the link of the site that has it: http://www.musicgoround.com/search.aspx?q=bass&cid=8&scid=0&l=0&sid=40095&z=&d=10&min=&max=&c=10&ob=6

Third one down from the top.

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    No. If it had been a prelawsuit ibanez rickenbacker bass, then quite possibly worth $450 if in great shape. but not the fender clones by ibanez.

16. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    ...well maybe no one will buy it and it will end up in the clearance bin.:bag:

17. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    What the crap?! Now I see why you want it... it's beautiful!

But not worth 450 haha

18. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Dude...exactly. Lacquer brown finish with only a few small nicks. The neck is a dream to play on. Now you see why I was so irrational in my trading question. I played on it 4 hours ago, so it's imprint is still with me.

19. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Tsk tsk... I'm sure if he said 300 with 50 down you'd have posted "New Bass Day!" Hahahaha