serious or good time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassandlax, Mar 5, 2002.

1. serious

17 vote(s)
  2. good time

24 vote(s)
  1. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    would you rather be / are you currently in a serious or a good time band? i mean are you in a band where chops, technique, good lyrics and techincal music are important, or are you in more of a "have fun but take the fun seriously" band... try not to give me a "were serious but we still have fun" answer ;)

2. More or less a good-time band, dont really have the time we all would want to be in a "serious" band as such. If only..... :)
  3. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    When we started our serious band, we signed a contract, that we would never, EVER have fun while playing. We have monthly tests where we tests eachothers chops and technique, so that noone will fall behind. On our first gigs though, I was prone to some smiling at the audience (I know I know, BAD, but I couldn't help it). This almost cost me my place in the band, so I had to play with a paper bag on my head, with two holes cut out for my eyes. It worked great, and it's been ages since I had fun while playing! :)

But seriously, I'm poking a little fun at you because i don't really understand the question. Nobody would play if it wasn't fun!

I'm in several bands. One is very "serious", with paying gigs, studiotime, etc. But we didn't start the band to do that, we started it because we wanted to play together, to play the music we liked, etc. The money and stuff just kind of happened. And yeah, it's important that we are good, because nobody wants to sound bad. Right? But it's not about techical music. My opinion is that if making music that is technical is your goal, you're on thin ice. Make the music you hear in your head, nothing else. And YES, we still have fun.

Then I'm in a second band. We meet maybe once a month, have a wild session, improvise for a couple of hours. We tape all we play, and then we go home and sober up! :D Perhaps this isn't what you'd call serious, but in a way it is, because I still want to make good music.

It's all fun.
  4. A good time kinda thing. I am serious enough at work. I need some unwind time, and if my free time is spent with an authority setup then I'd pop.

But I want to sound good and have a good time. Matter of fact, if things sound good, then I'm having fun.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Music is my hobby, not my job. I don't need the money.
    If it isn't fun, I won't do it.

I'm serious in that I'm dedicated to improving my skill, but I don't care about impressing my peers with chops, I just want to make butts wiggle on the dancefloor. :cool:
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm serious about having fun.

7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I beleive, the better the music, the better the fun.
  8. My answer is unfortunately serious but we're having fun. If it was no fun it wouldn't be done. But we're serious enough to want to make a living out of it. We see it as a potential career change for all in the band. We want to be serious as entertainers - although indicidual technical proficiency isn't brilliant just now. We're competent and always improving!!

Sorry if this is the wrong answer!:D
  9. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    heh, by serious i didnt mean you cant have fun!! i just mean are you in a band that just jams and messes around or are you in a serious band that gigs many times a week, is into recording, into touring and possibly be full time.

of course playing music is ALWAYS fun! :D

10. Fuzzbass

Oh! Well in that case, both my bands are serious about gigging part-time. Neither band wishes to go full time.

Well, I don't know about *always*... my brother is a professional musician and he didn't like playing top-40 to help pay the bills. :eek:
  11. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's all fun and games until geetarist looses his control of ego. After that, it's all fun and games - without geetarist.

I voted for fun, because if there was not fun, playing would be no fun :D
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    same here. I'm serious about my band... but i have fun doing it... If it wasn't fun.. why play ??? I didn't answer the poll... because its really both to me
  13. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I couldn't put "Myself" into any performance if I wasn't having fun playing the music with the rest of the Band. I've quit Good Bands because people stopped doing the Fun parts and concentrating SOLELY on the technique rather than Technique with the FUN!!!

Yeah sure I'd like to do this professionally but at the end of the day I'm still doing this because I ENJOY doing it, and when I get a band together that can perform to it's best ability and still be enjoying itself I will start my bid for world domination properly
  14. Fuzzbass

To expand on my prev. post a little: professionals (and even semi-pros who need to supplement their income from music) can have it much tougher than hobbyists like me. Often they have to 'pay their dues' in bad situations just to get their name recognized by the community so they can move on to better gigs. So many ways pros can suffer: having to play music they don't like, in bad clubs, with bad booking agents, bandleaders, bandmates.

But, often the joy of playing music (of any kind) can overcome all the crap that the biz can throw at you. It did for my brother. Now, he's working only gigs he wants to work, and it's all good.
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FME, it can be fun even when playing bad music...
    See, I haven't forgotten those daze of being in a drunken stupor with some friends & doin' a 30-minute reading of "Wild Thing".
    ...or was it "Louie, Louie"? ;)
  16. Some of the stuff i've played required serious good fun to make up for its lack of integrity, originality etc. I'd like to be in a band appreciated by the audience

17. Fuzzbass

I used to get frustrated because we'd try to play music with integrity and originality (e.g. Crack the Sky!), but audiences didn't appreciate that so we had to play the same crap the other bands were playing.
  18. Sanger

Sanger Guest

Feb 15, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    My band is too bad to be serious, so we're a fun band. Hopefully one day we'll be able to take ourselves serioulsly, but there's no way in hell I'd do it if it weren't fun. My favourite thing is getting a bunch of mates together and jamming for ages with about 3 different pedals times :D

Of course, this generally ends up deafening us for a while, especially if yer too close to the speakers
  19. I tried the serious thing a few times. No thank you, not any more, not ever again. And, may I add, this is a good attitude to have in a relationship too. It can be very deep and intense, but, use that word serious and watch the fun end. Just my $.02 ;)

Mike J.
  20. Wheres the option for 'both'?