1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Serious Power Amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndretheBassist, Aug 11, 2007.

1. AndretheBassist

AndretheBassist

Jul 12, 2007
    I have my mind set on what I want to do with my new amp setup...

I'm getting a behringer V-amp pro rack for a pre-amp (yes, getting the foot controller too lol) and one of my friends said it best, and for the sake of versatility, to get a power amp instead of buying a whole other amp to power my new speakers. I'm looking at something 1x15 and 2x10's with around 400w power handling for the speakers. Should I push the max and get a 400w power amp or play it safe like im thinking and get 300w or 350w? any suggestions about which to get?

I read a lotta questions (i searched before i wrote this) and people were talking about minimum voltage for power amps that are provided by pre-amps? Is this something I'll have to worry about with the behringer v-amp pro rack and something that can put out around 300-350w?

Sorry if it seems a noobish question, but I been playing with combos for 2.5 years and never added anything more technical than some boss pedals so I wanted to get the facts on them. Thanks!

-Andre

2. What kind of cabs are you looking at where the combined power handling of a 1X15 + 2X10 is only 400 watts ??

The speakers are going to be so lousy that power handling will be the last of your worries.

Any decent 2X10 should handle 400 watts on it's own.

3. just get a ep1500 that will give you whatever you need

4. AndretheBassist

AndretheBassist

Jul 12, 2007
    no it wasn't combined, it was 400 watts handling each

5. AndretheBassist

AndretheBassist

Jul 12, 2007
    think i'd do well to get a power conditioner too?

6. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Power conditioners are just rack mounted power strips with lights. All they do is filter our EMI And RFI and nothing more they do not help keep constant voltage and most do not even have over voltage or under voltage shut down protection. So for the cost of a good power strip you could save a lot of cash.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For 800 watts of speakers, you should get at least 1,000 watts of amp. 1,500 would be better. You need headroom.