Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Serious Problem with my MIM Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wolfatthedoor, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Ok, so I'll just come out and say it -- I committed what is believed to be a definite sin here at the forums... I bought a MIM Fender standard jazz from musiciansfriend :eek:

I got the bass opened it up right away and amped it up. It sounds great... except for one detail I just noticed... the open D sounds dead.

Is this a typical problem? If I fret the D anywhere the string suddenly comes to life, it seems. But open it's just sickly quieter than all the other strings for some reason. :crying: can someone help me out? worth sending it back? thanks

2. Change strings. Some strings are dead out of the box. Try changing and get back to us, although it could also be a problem with the bridge and setting the right string angle over the saddle. Either way, try restringing first.

3. thanks for the reply (seems like the only one i'll get), you've always been helpful here.

You know buying blind gets a real bad rep, but except for this problem i'm really satisfied with everything about the instrument. j basses really do sing.

(but of course, I guess this problem is what gives buying online a bad rep.... :rollno: )

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

couple other recent posts have had an MIM with an E string that wasn't dead but definetly out of balance and have gone to consideable length to correct it without success.

Something must be going on with those basses.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Badly cut nut, perhaps?

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I had a similar problem with one..turned out to be the pickups..replaced them and BAM!! No more problems.

7. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    We hear all the time that Fender basses ,particularly the MIM, are so much better than they were or are a decent bass. That may be true if compared to what they use to be like but how do they compare to the over all market. Doesn't anyone at Fender test these MIM's to see if each string even put out sound. That seems like such a basic factory quality check and even thats not being done.

8. you know, it sounds like a pick-up problem to me, too.

anyway i'll restring the D and see what happens, if its still dead i may just send it back. i bought the bass with quite a bit of customization in mind, but I'm not going to settle for something as basic (and frustrating) as this

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    if the fretted notes sound good and it's just the open note....that sounds like the nut slot is too tight and choking that string. Take a good look at that nut slot.. and I would try a different string as well.

good luck!

10. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis

Yup.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you don't need an "i told you so" so i wont say it................
    but
    goes to show ya, buying a bass blind is one of the riskier things you can do - i'll buy all kinds of amplification gear blind before i'd buy a bass w/o trying it
    especially one from a company as variable as fender. No offense to any fender-o-philes, but play 20 j basses from the same series (i.e., all mim, all mia, all deluxe, all geddy lee), and you usually play 20 very different quality basses.
    Ive played some mim's that were awesome, and i've played some mia's that were best used as kindling - :meh:
    but enought fender bashing, fwiw, i've played some 3000 dollar basses that were ripe for the fireplace too :p

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

In general, the mass produced basses are much better than what they used to be. In terms of crafsmanship, the quality is much better per dollar - especially on the low end stuff. The wood is not the quality it once was.

From a mass produced sense, the snug nut thing sounds something worth looking into. That's fairly inocuous, easily overlooked, and a probable source. I'm guessing this is something minor that's at the source.

Could be wrong, but at any rate, it seems people are not doing searches or reading current related threads before posting - otherwise there wouldn't be 3 of the same kind of threads posted within a few days - and I think they're all in this forum. Reminds me of government work. Not that repetitive posts aren't useful but being on the same page would likely get the problem resolved quicker, cheaper, with less grief and frustration.

13. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    That's all it really can be.

Easy fix.

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Concur in that the nut as a source would only apply to an open string. Easy to forget sometimes.

15. the nut... huh, logical deduction. I'll take a look, and try replacing the string as well. Hey thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help.

16. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I'll commit a dealdly TB sin and say that I believe Fender hardware is prety much garbage. It is more than possible that bridge saddles can move in shipping. After all, I've known most Fender saddles to sink over time due to the vibrations from playing. Just thought of an acronym - Common Recurring Action Problems. LOL!

Having said that, I still dig my MIM Jazz. Go figure!

17. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Thats exactly what happened to the bridge on my 2002 MIM jazz fretless.

Put a Gotoh 201 on in it's place. $23.00 from Warmoth. Problem solved.

I picked up a MIM 5 string jazz recently, and noticed the bridge was a Gotoh.

Still, after a couple upgrades, I'm digging mine too! :hyper: