1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SERIOUS PROBLEMS WITH JAZZ BASS AND MUSICMAN STINGRAY ACTION

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TurnItAgain360, Aug 6, 2007.

1. TurnItAgain360

TurnItAgain360

Aug 6, 2007
    Maryland
    Hello,
    I own both a standard Jazz bass, and a Music Man SUB bass. The problem I'm having is that the higher frets are out of tune with the lower frets, and so the 12th fret is out of tune with the open string, and the seventh fret is out of tune with the open string below it.
    For example: Let's say I have the open D string tuned perfectly, but when I play a G on the 5th fret, it is always flat, such is the case with all the other strings. But the worst part is the from the 12th fret up. I've had this problem for quite some time, and I am desperate for help.

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

2. that sounds pretty weird - I'd check your intonation and truss rod. If you cant do it take it to a good tech and have them check it out. It'll cost you but it should fix any problems you have.

3. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    I'd say adjust your playing and get a set-up.

4. TurnItAgain360

TurnItAgain360

Aug 6, 2007
    Maryland

What do you mean?

5. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    very easy.

intonate your bass.

6. TurnItAgain360

TurnItAgain360

Aug 6, 2007
    Maryland
    I am having a strange problem with the E string on my SUB stingray. The problem is that the height of the string is always way too high. I have adjusted it so the bridge saddle is touching the metal surface of the bridge(it is as low as it can go), but the string height has not changed. This is also preventing me from moving the intonation forward. Any help would be much appreciated.

7. TurnItAgain360

TurnItAgain360

Aug 6, 2007
    Maryland
  8. shim the neck... intonate the bass, take it to a profesional

9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

I read that, and the solution is to take it to a professional. This is something they do all the time and it won't even cost very much.

Find a reputable luthier/repairman near you and take 'er in.

10. 202dy

202dy

Sep 26, 2006
    The first thing that must be done is to take some measurements. The critical data is amount of relief in the neck and string height at the twelfth fret. If you are unsure how to do this refer to the sticky at the top of the page. Post your findings here and you will be able to begin the process.

11. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Just take it to a pro, man. If they don't fix it, don't pay 'em!