Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Serious string problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ridethebike, Aug 14, 2002.

1. I have, a serious string problem, its serious, damn its annoying, anyway a month ago my cousin broke my squier by splitting the pickguard severely. Today i replaced it with a new guard (3 ply very resiliant) and then i went to put on the strings which is easy enough, the problem is when i tightened it and went to play the string (e) it was waaaay to close to the fretboard, i couldnt understand as these string's were on this guitar only a month ago, i tried the other strings and got the same problem, this has made it impossible to play unless i want to play from the 14th frets. If you have had any experience with this dilemma please help me otherwise i cant sell it and buy my new bass thats not mine yet, surprisingly.

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Raise the action...do a search on action.

3. String height has nothing to do with the pickguard. I'm sure the neck has shifted during that time. Raise the string height at the bridge and/or loosen the truss rod.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Would a three ply gaurd shorten the distance that much from a one ply gaurd?

5. No sorry the pick guard has nothing to do with it, i shouldn't have put that in there.