1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

serious swr 750x problems... sorry, it's a long one.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davedamage, Oct 18, 2006.

1. davedamage

davedamage Hit string, go boom. Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Milwaukee area
    there was a previous post on the swr musician's forum about the two on board effects on the 750X turning on intermittently and without prompting. now, i've had the amp for two years and it has done this occasionally and for no reason. it has done it in many different locations, with and without power conditioners, playing with an active and a passive bass, on both inputs, and through many different cabinets. i recently bought an ampeg svt-810 to match the power of the head it it was fine for about a week. at first, i thought it was the way i had the eq set and the fact that i was playing through a musicman sterling. the settings were:
    gain...2 o'clock
    aural enhancer...2 o'clock
    bass...4 o'clock with the turbo pulled
    mid freq...11 o'clock
    mid level...9 o'clock
    treble...2 o'clock
    master...between 2/3 o'clock

after a week at these setting, which is what i normally play it with when through a cab that can handle it, the effects started kicking on again and everytime i turn on the subwave it turns on the overdrive. i tried cleaning the footswitch input jacks and the effects send/return jacks and it doesn't help anything. it also does it whether or not there is a speaker cabinet hooked up to it. i have tried playing with all the EQing turned down and it doesn't do it nearly as much, but with as much as i paid for this amp to get 750 watts out of it and the huge cab i paid good money for to handle those 750 watts, i really don't want to play as quietly as it's making me. so, if anyone knows what the hell is wrong with me, please tell me. i'd rather not have to send it off for warranty work because i need the damn thing and the closest place that does swr warranty work is an hour and a half away. but if no one has anything on it, i suppose that's what i have to do.

2. The only think I can think of is to recommend making sure the footswitch is plugged in before powering up - SWR recommends doing so with my Mini Mo', and what you're experiencing is covered as the after-effects.

...however, I don't think it's that, and that you'll most likely have to send it in for work. Good luck, and see if you can get a loaner amp.

3. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    1. Don't put the amp directly on the cab, maybe the vibrations cause the microswitches to active.

2. Check the connections inside the footswitch. The connection in the footswitch that came with my Mo' Bass was flimsy at best...

Good luck!

4. Does this only happen when the footswitch is connected? If so, it's probably the footswitch or the connectors.
    If it happens when the footswitch isn't connected it's something within the head itself and you should probably have a technician have a look. FIW I've never had this problem with mine.

LR

5. davedamage

davedamage Hit string, go boom. Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Milwaukee area
    i know it's not the cab vibrating because it does it even when it's not hooked up to one. i can set it on my kitchen table and power it up and it will do it from time to time. and regardless of whether or not the footswitch is hooked up. bitch of it is, it worked fine last night at a bar gig. but as of right now, it's getting past being reliable. thanks anyways, fellas. i'm think i'm going to end up trying to get it worked on. on a side note, does anyone know if the original five year warranty on swr amps still applies to the pre-fender models? the new warranty stated on the swr website that it's effective from january 2005 and of course i bought it in december 2004...

6. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I think that you'll be under the previous 3 year warranty. I just had work done on my 750 last month and was told that that was the case. Either way, if you get it done now, it should still be covered.
    Good luck,