Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seriously bummed...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lowtonejoe, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    There's a local group of old-time country/bluegrass guys that get together every Thursday at a local church that have what is supposed to be an 'open house' kind of gathereing.

I called the guy doing some of the organizing to find out 'what, where and when' kind of stuff.

In my mind I kind of pictured me showing up with my bass, being greeted by a bunch of freindly guys and learning some kool, old fashioned material.

He was kind of excited at first, saying bass players are hard to find. Until he found out I play what he called a 'wired' bass. Electric bass, that is. He didn't think it would work out because I don't have a stand up. He said 'wired' basses wouldn't fit well in the mix.

:confused::confused::confused:

Jeez, it feels like the music gods are plotting against me. I can't be in a committed band because of my work schedule and I can't find a casual gig to save my life.

All this music crap and no one to play with.

This is really starting to suck.

:(

Joe.

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Bluegrass snobbery! It can be even worse than the more widely known "jazz snobbery."

People who play fretless Rob Allens and the like have even been outcast for not bringing a doghouse. At least they don't care if you play URB or BG.

It's like not bringing a jazz or a p-bass to a blues gig. But worse.

3. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yeah, this is my first encounter with any kind of snobbery.

Dang. It sucks.

I guess I'm not a real bass player yet.

:(

Joe.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's a real shame. Perhaps there are some other places you could try out? At some of the open mic events I've been to with the 'Teeth, I'm the only person with an electric bass and an amp (albeit a small Fender guitar practise amp job). All I need is a plug socket and I'm normally set up in less time than it takes other people to tune. I've been fortunate not to meet any snobbery - in fact, at places we've been a few times I'm often asked to sit in with other acts. Of course, you're a long way from here, but there might be similar opportunities somewhere in your area.

As an alternative, how about going along to listen one night. Once you've got to know the bluesgrass folks, they might soften up a bit and at least give you a go. If they hear an electric bass played with simple, supportive lines and at a volume that doesn't drown everything else out, they might be helped to get over their prejudices entirely.

Wulf

5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ

attitude like that is why that jackass is playing in a church basement. he's not a musician, no loss on your part.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    He and his little gang might be extremely accomplished musicians within the style they've chosen to follow. I suspect the problem is that they've either never actually played with an electric bassist or, worse, they've played with one who wasn't sensitive to the music and went stomping all over things.

Wulf

7. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Thanks for your replies, Buzzbass and Wulf.

Well, it's not a basement but it is at a church!

And according to him there are usually between 7 to fifteen musicians that sit in a circle and take turns sharing songs. He said usually there are 10-15 folks there just listening.

And Wulf, you could be right about this guys experience with other bassists but I guess now I'm to the point of asking myself "Why would I want to play with them?". Of course after I've had a few days to think this through I may go check them out anyway.

We'll see I guess.

I just think it would be best to find guys willing to take a listen instead of judging first.

Joe.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You might as well get used to it, harsh as that seems. I've worked with many bluegrass guys who insist on using only one mike for the whole band,which does work very well in many cases. Some also allow an SM-57 (only that specific mike) in the bridge of the upright, wrapped in a towel. Being sound deWd presents some challenges in those scenarios, for sure.

I've had a few approaches from some of those guys. They were willing to "consider" letting me play my EUB, but clearly they would've dropped me in a heartbeat if an actual doghouse came along. I'm sure you'll latch on to something that's a better fit, don't let it bother you too much.

I'll bet you'd find a few guys out of the bunch that would make it worth having a listen though.

9. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Charlie, Ill bet you're right on all counts.

Joe.

10. Truth.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Maybe, but the bummer is that you're just looking to jam and maybe learn a little at this point. Telling someone that they aren't roit (INXS content) for yer band is one thing, but not at least having a listen before you pass that judgement is kind of hard to take, eh?

The jazz group I latched on to was willing to "let" me play fretless BG, but the first time I brought my EUB to practice, that was game over. I'm sure it'd be the same if I showed up with a doghouse, if I could actually play it that is! :cool:

12. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Exactly.

There is no doubt in my mind that after a few session there would be less teaching on their part and more contributing on my part. Not that I would STOP learning but it would be that once I caught on to what they were doing I would be able to play well enough to start learning on my own.

Heck, they aren't bass players, I am.

I'm glad things worked out well for you.

Joe.

13. Start your own band! Electric bluegrass w/some Cajun funk sprinkled on top(my idea). Contoversial, yes. Impossible? Perhaps nearly, & I'm sure some would say yes, it is- bon't let that stop you. Listening to these guys, though, would at least show them that you're not easily discouraged(you're not, are you? ;) ).

14. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Unfortunately that is not an option for me right now. Time is a big issue for me.

I have been off work for about a month due to a blood clot in my leg, so for the past few weeks I have had time but hopefully I will be able to return to work Monday. I will find out Friday.

That being said, my job typically will be 50-70 hours a week. Let me tell you, after 60-70 hours a guy really doesn't feel like doing much of anything.

That's why a casual gig or even open mike type events would be cool. Show up when I can and not feel like I have let the band down when I can't.

But there are no open mike anythings really happenning around here. That's why I was really hoping that this semi-private group of guys would work out.

Oh well.

Joe.

15. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Again, it would be worth going along and getting to know some of them. Even if the majority of them are quite happy to live without ever playing with one of them new-fangled plug in excuses for instruments, there might be a few of them who are more open minded. Maybe a different night of the week could see some of them, and you, and other musicians from the area who don't fit into the strictly traditional scene getting together for something new?

But you've got to get to meet them first...!

Wulf

16. I would go down there, spend some time getting to know them, getting them comfortable with you, and gradually try to wear them down to the point that they let you play your electric bass with them on a trial basis.

Then I'd break out the funk thumb and wank out on all their songs with your best Guitar Center slap-n-pop riffs with your amp screaming loud.

And then pack up and leave. Be sure to wear those low rider jeans so when you bend over to pick up your amp you point your butt right at them.

And dont' look back.

Randy

17. I wish I'd thought of that. :smug:

18. I don't take my Tele to a bluegrass jam and I don't take my Santa Cruz to a rock jam. It's not all snobbery, it is what works for the the music being played by a particular group of people at a particular time. There might be a place for what you want to do with some of them, but you won't know if you don't go.

19. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    A highly unique and creative solution.

Might even land you a backside full of rock salt or buckshot.

20. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    True. Very true.

I will ponder on it.

Thanks.

Joe.