1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seriously? C'mon bass companies, how hard is it???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dannoman, Apr 9, 2015.

1. dannoman

dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
    Sorry, just wanted to vent. I know most people wont care, but...

How hard is it for a bass company to make a 4 and 5 string P bass with maple fretboard, 21-22 frets and that's affordable? I thought for years that Schecter was going to change their Diamond series P and add a Maple fretboard and sure enough they did!With 20 frets.... I mean seriously? can we not think outside of the box here? Fender has 20 frets, so that's what everyone else will do too? I know a lot of people will say "who cares" or " no money above the 5th fret" but i care, and im not playing for money. I'm playing for the love of playing. I support my family, parents (mom has dementia) and mother in law and cant afford to spend a lot on a bass. Why should i have to pay over a grand for 1-2 extra frets on a standard bass design????

Uggghhhh!

Vent over.

2. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Just economics (unfortunately) - it tends to be people who want a P-type don't want/need the extra frets, and those who want extra frets tend to not want P-styles. That means the people in-between get pinched out as the companies (especially at the low end) want to be able to sell a LOT of any one model.
    The other thing - once you start adding frets it starts to mess with the PBass look. So again they tend to make either tradional style OR extra frets.
    If you want a 5 string with a PBass SOUND and aren't so hung up on the look the new SRs above 500 have PJ pickups even on the 5.

AndrewTaran and petrus61 like this.
  3. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Here's one I found : Ibanez TR 50 Bass | eBay

You can also go with Guitar Fetish - The Xaviere brand : Xaviere Bass Guitars

They have precision basses with maple fretboards and 21 frets. I've had one of their telecasters before, and the body and neck wood was excellent. It needed a bit of fretwork, and I swapped the pickups, electronics and tuners. That's where they cut corners, just not on the wood it seems.

Still, put 100 bucks into a 170 dollar bass and you could have something right up your alley. For the telecaster I modded I just bought all the parts through Guitar Fetish. They do have good parts available for sale it's just hard to sell a 170 dollar bass if you don't cut costs somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    RiZzBot likes this.
  4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    IMO, you should not be playing in the upper register, so non issue for me.

Short-scale and static0verdrive like this.
  5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    el basso likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    YOU should not be playing in the upper register, which is fine by me, but don't put your hangups on others. Not their responsibility to please you and play in a way you find acceptable.

Herrick, TechJunky, LowB-ing and 51 others like this.
  7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    PhrasingArcher_zps5e49d729.

8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes Boss.

Did you see that I wrote "IMO" and "non issue for me?" Come on, I thought you are one of the few here that actually read.

Eric66 likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So if you're not interested, why comment? Just had to get that out there? ;)

10. Kudos to you sir for the things that you endure! I just recently had to move my mother in, I feel where your coming from man!

Dan Bass and dannoman like this.
  11. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I hear you.
    Prefer a maple neck myself.
    Usually have to search used to get a cheap end with maple.

12. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Find a nice used MIM or Squier P and drop a Warmoth 21 or 24 fret neck on it.
    You can always get the 24 and trim off the extra if you want to.
    fretboard_2.
    fretboard_3.

13. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Do those still have the trussrod adjustment at the heel? I had one of those years ago and that was a pita. That one extra fret took up all the real estate by the pickguard.

Still, no doubt a good idea if that's what you really want - plus the amount of combinations available is great.

14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    As Micky J once said, you can't always get what you want. You are asking for three things that don't generally go together:

1. Inexpensive (although I am not sure what your budget it).
    2. Access to ultra-high frets
    3. P bass.

I don't think there is much of a market for that. My suggestion - do your own build.

gebass6, Dan Bass and alaskaleftybass like this.
  15. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    On the subject of stuff that no one seems to do, I want a 5 string jazz or precision with narrow spacing. Like 16.5-17mm. They all seem to be 18+.

Toptube likes this.
  16. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    This. If you can't find it do it yourself! One if them warmoths would do you good

17. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I think I would just learn to live without those one or two extra frets. If they were popular and bass companies saw a profit in it they would make them.

18. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    The problem is the "sweet spot" for the P bass sound is with the pickup at the 24th fret location.

Stormchaser and bungletrpg like this.
  19. Probably quite hard, since "nobody wants them". Everybody wants 20 frets. In the early 90's; I think it was; the Fender "American Standard" equivalent Precision had 22 frets. Didn't sell. Musicians are conservative types when it comes to what instruments they desire, and especially when it comes to messing with the archetypes. I play guitar and has been reading some stuff on the Les Paul Forum. If one thinks the Fender purists on this site (if there are any that qualify as that term) are crazy, then check out the Les Paul Forum for a whole new level of obsessive scrutiny over the tiniest, most minute; detail. There's a good side to this though; and that is the fact that these people has been a force that actually has moved the Gibson Custom Shop to make better Les Paul guitars, through the years.

kodiakblair likes this.