Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seriously considering EarCandy cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff O'Connor, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    Well everyone? Whadaya think? These sure do seem amazing. :hyper: Would do a 2x12. I really like the fact if using REAL wood instead of MDF junk...and total customizing Some input people?

Check them out.

http://www.earcandycabs.com/bassbomb.htm

Thanks!!

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    "They sure are pretty. But can they fight?"
    'The Dirty Dozen'

3. :spit:

4. i like the idea...for 299 it doesn't seem a very bad deal, but bgavin seems to not like earcandy...care to elaborate?

5. i don't know if i could justify buying 'cheap' cabs anymore. I bought 2 avatar cabs (which are great), but the name brand cabs (which most people think sound better) are available to just a few more bucks. Just something to keep in mind. I would rather spend $500 on something that sounded really good than spend $300 on something that I will want to replace in a year or so.

6. chrisb7601

chrisb7601

Aug 30, 2005
    $299??? I've checked out that site before, they look great but the price you're talking about is for the cabinet only. Once you throw speakers, upgrades and everything else in there, they add up to about $600

7. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I've got mixed feelings about this.

The good: I think it's very, very cool to be able to custom order enclosures -- tolex colors, drivers, hook-ups, handles, etc. I also like the horizontal form factor. The construction seems very good. Materials look good. No rat-fur coverings. They offer to port the boxes to your own drivers -- so if you have some nice EVs or something . . .

The bad: Some of the tolex looks too shiny-- it might just be the photos, though. They don't offer neo drivers. The Web site is a little clunky -- all the options should be available on one menu. As it is, you have to hunt around to find the speakers and optional grill cloth. Kinda weird. I think it would be cool to offer a high-end speaker wire upgrade, too. No dark green tolex (gotta match my Trace stuff).

I get no indication from the site that this is "cheap" stuff. Considering the quality they are claiming, they pricing seems fair.

I love "boutique" companies like this. I hope they do well -- if they're good! Has anyone actually heard any of this stuff? Bgavin, you don't approve -- have you seen and heard these bins?

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm waiting for bgavins thoughts. I trust what he has to say about cabs. Look up some of his older posts, he knows his stuff.

-Mike

9. I never heard one of these cabs, but from the info on the site i conclude that they are breaking some cab design guidelines:
    - they put different drivers in one shared enclosure. This is not very common and for good reasons (but sometimes it works, so it does not have to be bad).
    - no tweeter/midrange. Not even as an option.
    - You can opt for different drivers, but the cab size and tuning remain the same... this means a compromise is made to sound quality.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I played one of the 212s a few weeks ago, and to my ears it sounded great! It has a great vintage vibe, but it does lack the highs. I made a thread on it, do a search I think I typed more there.

11. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Link,

A agree about the different driver thing, but guitarist have been doing that for ages -- with excellent results. Bass is a different animal, however. The matching of the cab to the driver is much more critical.

No tweet. That's a bad thing (unless, like me, you don't care for tweets). But it should be offered.

I think they change the tube depths for tuning. It's pretty easy to do. So I think they do that. Of course, I could be completely mistaken. But why would they not do that if it's easy to do? I dunno.

12. The whole web site smells like marketing merde from prime bulls. Too many superlatives, too much hype. No substance.

First, "Tone Jointing". Makes me think of getting physically fit while rolling a doobie. Puleez... A decent joint works or doesn't work. This applies to cabinets too. If in doubt, brace and cleat the joint for extra strength.

Next, the manufacturer makes great lengths out of the jointing technique avoiding "cabinet flex", yet they opt for "tone woods" (read: pleasing resonance (flexing)). Go figure. Instruments resonate, cabs should not. Those that do are power wasters and sound nasty.

I suppose by a long reach of imagination, they are making their bass cabs into resonant instruments.

I liked the part about tinsel strength, it makes me think of Christmas ornaments. Evidently the engineer who provided the copy to the marketing puke doesn't know the difference between tinsel and tensile. That inspires confidence in the product. Or maybe he is just a graduate of a California public school... that inspires confidence as well.

I was especially relieved to find out that sealed cabinets result in short throw. All these years I was apparently mistaken about piston diameter and those silly laws of physics being the cause of directional behavior.

The Over Porting comment was also amusing. I suppose they have rationalized port chuffing as "musical"? The optimal port diameter should be as large as the driver piston area, for the least amount of port turbulence and noise. That doesn't happen because of duct length requirements and cabinet volumes.

There are no dealers, so you cannot listen before purchasing. If you live near the factory in Indiana, perhaps you could hear one. For me, I wouldn't buy one of these on a bet without first hearing it, or reading several reviews from trusted sources. YMMV.

Even better, ask them to provide a response plot.

:D

13. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    While I understand why bgavin might not like these bins, I think he protests a bit much. Here's why:

I don't think the site smells of marketing, I think it smells of "guitar." Guitarists are notoriously famous for needing "tonewoods" and resonating cabs. This language has moved over to the bass box section with unfortunate results.

There are a number of different joint types that builders can use. These guys think they have invented a better one. Maybe they have, maybe they haven't, but many production cab builders use what is convenient or cheap, not great. I might cut them a little slack here. They've at least made the effort to do a good job.

There isn't a bass enclosure that I have ever seen/touched/played that doesn't vibrate. It's wood. The goal is to raise the resonant frequency up high enough to prevent smear and other nasties. I would say that virtually any well made box will not waste power. Whether it's a cheap Avatar or a Bergantino.

"Tinsel" strength is pretty funny. But Web English sux pretty bad these days!

I don't know where you got the port-size/speaker piston thing. I always understood it to be:

"The bass-reflex enclosure makes use of a tuned port which projects some of the sound energy from the back of the loudspeaker, energy which is lost in a sealed enclosure. But care must be taken to avoid the back-to-front cancelation of low frequencies which characterizes unenclosed loudspeakers. This is avoided by tuning the cavity resonant frequency of the enclosure to the free-cone resonant frequency of the loudspeaker. This has the effect of projecting bass frequencies from the port in phase with the sound from the front of the cone, at least at the resonant frequency. The overall effect is the increasing of bass efficiency and the extension of the bass response to lower frequencies."

Source: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/audio/basref.html

And as far as "no dealers" are concerned, I would be that there is a significant percentage of TalkBass readers that buy stuff without a dealer visit. Not everyone has access to a great store. Many of us find ways to work around those issues. I think a little more slack needs to be cut here, too.

Other than that, I agree with you! :D

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    "Where's the beef?"
    Clara Peller
    I agree with Bruce. Long on hype, short on any real engineering data. In other words, just like almost every other cab manufacturer; they should do well.

15. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Bruce.....you forgot the part about the "patent pending" enclosure made out of 3 different "tone woods". I almost fell over laughing when I read that one!!!! What's with all the "patent pending" clowns these days? L.O.L.!!!
    Corey

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Linkwray nailed it, and Bgavin sunk the nail in further.

People, be wary of any company that thinks it's ok to make one standard cab and throw any speaker that fits in there.

17. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    It seems so easy for you guys with all the expensive equipment to slam these guys...Hmmm.... :eyebrow: Would you at least go with Avatar?....Just looking not to break the bank....and I believe I'd really dig a 2x12... :help:

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Um...uh....what?

Would you care to rephrase that using statements that make sense?

Why would I want a cab that I have to EQ the hell out of to make it sound good?

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yes. I'd go Avatar.

And as a guy who played an old Hartke 3500 and a stock Carvin 4x10 for 12 years, I'll still bust on their deal.

I have other gear now, but even lower end stuff would be a safer bet.

I agree that it looks like guitar cabs marketed as bass gear.

20. That's why we all call it 'opinion.'

And that is your opinion, but not mine. My opinion is the web site reeks of marketing hype and superlatives, and I'm under no obligation to cut them an ounce of slack. As to effort, I see more in the web site than in the product.

This is a moron writing web copy, not a typo. It's not even close to "tensile" in either spelling or pronunciation. It certainly was not proof read by an "engineer".

The above is an overview from Vented Box 101. There is nothing mentioned about vent velocity or turbulence, nor their relationship to vent/piston area. Also, a vent is not a waveguide device, therefore it projects nothing.

There is no sound coming from the cone at resonance. The cone is fully damped and nearly all radiation comes from the vent. A simple SPL meter demonstrates this, and this is one method of determining the tuning frequency.

You can advance your understanding of vent sizing by purchasing and comprehending Small's paper "Vented-Box Loudspeaker Systems" series, Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, July through October, 1973. In particular, Volume 21, Number 6 July/August 1973 details his work and formulas for vent sizing. In his book, "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook", Vance Dickason references Small's work on vent theory and reiterates the vent area = piston area concept.