Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

seriously considering getting a wishbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 9, 2004.

1. well as it say's...im considering getting a wishbass as my first fretless....a 32" peanut....something very simular to the attachment in a 4 string with a proper bridge.....and a truss rod

would it be a thesable to get one of these...as my first fretless?.....oh and yo wishbass haters who have had no experience with these id appreciate if you'd keep away...id like to hear from people who own or have owned these.....

i understand it wont be perfect if i do get one, but i dont mind if i have to mod it myself a little

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I understand that Wish haters are precisely those who played one.

3. well i spose they're also people who probably own fodera's, sadowskys, ken smiths and all that garbage....ive read good reviews on wish's......but its also that this is the only place where i hear bad things about wish's and behringer...i hear good things other places

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If you order a Peanut immediately you will notice how small the body is, and how lightweight it is. Further inspection will reveal a lot of imperfections. Because of the way the tuners are installed it won't fit in a standard case. The Peanut I bought had glue visible on the edges of the fingerboard. Like every other bass, the Wish is wood, wires, and electronics and I haven't read that many posts complaining about the sound. If you can get it shipped down under for a reasonable amount, I say go for it.

BTW, don't get the "brushed" clear coat. It sucks. I took steel wool to knock down the brush marks and polished it to make it look halfway decent.

5. well the bass i have now wont fit in a standard case :p

i got a quote from him a fair while ago before i got me x-factor and i think the postage was something like 80 or 90 us...

i also got a quote from him for a eub with a dragon carved in the scroll..was a god price except the postage would cost as much as the bass

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :confused: Do you mean 'feasable'? Probably not-they don't come in Bahama green ;)

7. see what happens when i try to use big words?...but in other words..would it be a good idea for a first fretless.....

yeah...its a bummer about the bahama green :p

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Have you considered getting one with fretlines as it will be your first fretless? I ask because I'd probably go with a production bass like a Fender or Yamaha if you wanted one with lines on it. How much would it be to import a Wish? Would you pay in US dollars?

9. i would pay in us...id use that western union thingy.....i would like a fender jazz fretless but they're like $900aus....im thinking now either sx or wish...the only thing is i prefer 32" these days..and sx only make 30" or 34", same with the fender.....i actually struggle on 34" basses these days :crying: :help:

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Untrue! I loves my Wishy!:smug:

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    If you struggle, then try harder. I struggle with some of the music the jazz band is playing (Ain't Got Nothin' But the Blues is a pain to read) but I'm not just gonna give up. Not even being able to play a 34" bass is not a good thing.

12. oh i can play em...just not a well..damn muscle memory.....but why is it a bad thing?

13. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Because it means you suck ;).

Once you get the wishy over here, it'll cost you as much as a MIM Fender, methinks.

14. nah..i think total last time was about $600aus..that was a peanut with a carivin humbucker

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just curious-how much is a plane ticket from Australia to America? You guys have to pay such outrageous import fees that I sometimes wonder if it's cheaper to fly to the US to buy one :meh:

16. i think a return is somewhere in the region of $2000aus..yeh it is unfair...you people with your elricks, sadowsky's, laklands, carl thompsons, all other other things sweet and delicious....well at least we have belman basses :D