Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seriously looking at buyng an EA iAMP800; anyone have any negative comments?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfab333, Mar 10, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've already searched the forum and read most of the threads on the iAMP 800. For the most part, there are many postive comments. I also recently tried out an iAMP 600, which I believe has the same preamp as the 800.

Before I go out and spend the big bucks on the 800, I thought that I'd make one more check to see if anyone has any negative comments on this specific amp. Maybe some of you tried one out recently at the NAMM show. Just trying to make an informed buy-decision. Don't be afraid to give me some negative opinions --- it's cool, we're all entitled to our own opinion. Thanks!

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The only thing I can tell you is I've heard they had a few minor quality control issues regarding assembly on the first batch so it might be wise to wait a couple of months and let them get the bugs worked out before purchasing one. Other than that, if you like the iAmp 600 then go for the iAmp 800.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Having said that though...if you do happen to get one that has some issues EA will rectify the problem with near-lightning speed.

brad cook

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I don't particularly care for the EQ section on my 800, which I feel is too "fussy" - any tiny tweaking of the parametric knobs seems to slice a large chunk out of the frequency spectrum. I would prefer if the cuts could be on a more gradual scale, which would make the use of the EQ more intuitive and practical. At the moment I do my EQing at the preamp level before going into the 800. Other than that, I think the 800's a great amp, and if you liked the 600 you'll probably like the 800.

5. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I have the iAMP350, which has the same tone shaping controls as the 800. What Chris refers to as "fussy," I refer to as "incredible versatility." It DOES take a while to get the sound you want, and if you ever want to develop several different sounds, you'll be making quite a list for each of your settings. Although I don't have any real experience with other amps, I'm very happy with mine, and expect it to keep me happy (wrt bass, anyway) :D for many years to come.

6. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I just got my iAMP800 this past weekend and there was something rolling around on the inside so I opened up the case and it was a loose capaitor. The amp still played with no problems. The next day I plugged my cable in and heard another loose part. I opened it up again and there was another loose capacitor. Again the amp still works fine. I called the vendor and EA has issued a call tag to pick it up and they said they would get the amp back to me quickly.
    This is from the email I got from Bob Gollihur of www.urbbob.com (very nice guy to deal with):

"They theorize that the board got clipped during installation; once I spoke to the amp guy he knew exactly where the component came from, since it had happened once before and was caught. It's not a soldering issue but an assembly incident. There is a new step during construction to both avoid repeating the problem and reinspecting the victim board before buttoning it up. I have sold six heads and have one of my own (and have more on order), and none other has had a component come loose. Mine is in a small rack case and has seen a lot of movement and playing, since I got it and it is fine, so I'm sure this is an isolated incident. These are assembled by hand rather than stamped out 5000 at a time, and we've gotten some of the first
    ones, so I guess there is bound to be some shakedown experiences. It will be gone over with a fine tooth comb before being returned to you."

Also on the top of the faceplate there was a piece of metal that looked like it was touched with a soldering gun. It was not a big deal (just cosmetic) but still it's a new amp so EA said they would replace the face plate.

As far as sound the amp sounds great with lots of power. It didn't blow me away but it does sound very good. I'm replacing a Mesa M-Pulse 360 (wanted more power) and if I had to do it over again I would probably just kept what I have. I'm still learning the eq. It's not a plug and play amp in my opinion.
    Some things I like about the amp:
    The tuner (works great)
    The input level meter
    the contour switches (work really well)
    the "deep" switch
    The large volume control (very nice when playing in a dark club)
    the speaker on-off switch

In conclusion I do really like this amp and I plan on keeping it. I'm impressed with EA's service so far. Of course that depends on how long they take to get it back to me. Hopfully I can figure out the eq.

I wanted to add that EA is out of stock of these amps for a couple of weeks and that's why they are not just sending me a new amp.

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks for all the comments.

Needmorebass, just curious on the specific ailments that you heard about, (loose capacitors, sound cutting in & out, variations in volume output, sudden failure, etc.?).

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Price seems high even if slightly used. For about $300 more, you can get a new 800 with more than twice the power.

9. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    My teacher has one and the only thing I noticed that was kind of a hassle was that when you plug a bass into passive and a bass into active only one bass will be amplified. Although I don't remember if its the first bass you plug in that gets muted or the second.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Passive/active inputs aren't designed for pluggin in two basses at the same time anyway.

brad cook

11. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh sorry about that I didn't know

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Finally ordered one, and it should be here in a few days.

I was concerned about the quality control / production problems mentioned earlier in this thread and other TB threads. Prior to buying the amp last week, I was assured by the EA dealer that EA has resolved the quality control / production problem. It was just one of those things that can happen on the very first run of manufacturing a new model. It's been corrected and is now history.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Since I posted last, I've solved my problem with the iamp EQ....turns out I was running the preamp too hot. Since I've got that corrected, the 800 sounds absolutely killer both on quiet gigs and loud ones. I couldn't be much happier with it.

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    There's a user review on the overnight digest of TBL this morning...

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Got a link? I'd like to read it, but don't know about TBL.

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
  17. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I'm extremly impressed with EA's service. I had a problem with loose parts in my iAMP800 so they issued a call tag and picked it up last tuesday and I just got a replacement yesterday.
    I do really like this amp. I'd write a review but I'm not very good at that. The eq does take a little getting use to but I'm starting to figure it out and it's very versatile . This amp definitely puts out the low end. I really like the fact it only weights 19lbs.
    It's a keeper for me.

18. You guys suck ... I have a really bad case of GAS now :( The weight factor alone is a big selling point, as I'm hauling around an Eden Nav and a QSC .... seems to me the iAmp would sound pretty similar to the Eden - they both have similar EQ schemes. Well, ok, maybe not similar, but having dealt with the Eden EQ the EA one cant be that hard, heh.

hmmmmmmmm, i hate this place .... my wife hates it even more.

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Some are - the Alembic pre's are set up for it. I don't remember if both end up high-gain or low-gain though.