Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seriously thinking Eden!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Dec 1, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I played through an Eden WT-500 Highwayman recently, and was completely blown away by the amount of clean low end coming out of the 410XLT at the store! I was considering an Ampeg SVT-CL, but now I am not so sure....I am seriously considering this rig(not to completely replace my Ampeg though I am affraid that might happen!). I have heard that the WT-500 may differ in tone from the WT-300 and the WT-800. Is this true? The WT-500 at the store is a demo, so I can buy it for considerably less than a new one. Worth it? Or should I save a little more and go for the WT-800? I am playing mostly R&B(older), and Blues.

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    oh where oh where is Munji?? I know he'll be along here soon...:D

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I do not know the answers to these questions. Right now, I'm considering my own options. If there is truth to the rumors, my life will be turned upside down soon.

All things being equal, I'd recommend the Eden WT-550, one of which I've had on order for 3 or 4 months. It's going to have 400 watts at 8 ohms, 500 watts at 4 ohms, and 600 watts at two ohms, all mono. Let's all pray to our respective gods and hobgoblins that the WT-550 comes to fruition.

One option for me would be a WT-800, the flagship of the line. The onliest problem is that it can be bridged only into 8 ohms. Bizarre. Or I could go with keeping my WT-300 as a preamp and put a WT-1000 under it. It'll bridge into 4 ohms or 2 ohms. But it weighs as much as a WT-800, and I'd have to rack it with the WT-300.

Then there's the Aguilar option.

As you can see, I'm too busy going insane to deal with your problems. Leave me alone.

4. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You'll have to forgive me Munji!........I'll leave you alone! It is odd that you can only bridge the WT-800(and the WT-500 I am looking at) into 8 ohms. You would think that it would be able to bridge into 4 ohms. I am going tomorrow to once again check out the WT-500. I just may buy it too!

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    You don't have to leave me alone. I'll get over it.

If I were you, I'd think about saving up for a WT-800. With the 500, let's say you only have 8-ohm cabs. You can get all 500 watts, but you can only use one cab. If you go stereo into two cabs, you'll get the 8-ohm power per side, probably 150 or 160 watts. So with two cabs you end up with a little more than 300 watts. You might as well have a WT-400 then, so you'd get all 400 watts with your two cabs (at 4 ohms total). This is why I'd really rather have a WT-550 than a WT-800. All my cabs are 8-ohm, so with two cabs and a WT-550, I'm at 500 watts, while with two cabs and a WT-800, I might be at 240W a side, or 480 watts. Then, the WT-800 weighs about 10 pounds more. What a cruel dilemma.

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive had the 800 for a number of years and have never found the only bridging into 8 ohms thing a very big problem even though i thought it would be. bridging into a single 8 ohm 410 has been enough for every occasion other than ear piercing metal. i ran mine through an xlt for a few years and most recently an epifani 410 and it gets loud and clean without clipping. i say save the ching and pick up the 800.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Ah, heck with it all. Do what I did and go flexible. An Eden Navigator preamp (find it used at around $400), and the power amp of your choice. That way, you can run mono, stereo, bridged, whatever, with the built-in crossover. You can literally change your rig from gig to gig depending on your needs.

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Back when I had a 410 Xlt I seem to rememder in the owners manual something about being able to hook up two 4 ohm cabs in a way that the total impedence would be 8 ohms so you can get full output with two cads bridged.

9. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The WT-500 that I am interested in will put out 250 watts RMS at 4 ohms per side. This totals 500 watts RMS. So I can get the full 500 watts out of it wether I am using 8 or 4 ohms. I'm sold!:)

10. This is my setup. I agree and second it.

11. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Adrian - I've had a WT-500 for about three years and I still love it. If I were to do it again might get the WT-800 but only because of the "you can't have too much power theory". Having said that I have never run out of power/headroom with the WT-500 (and I play some fairly large rooms).

I still have my D-410XLT and it's sounds fabulous with the WT-500. But I'm selling the 410 because I'm using Bag Ends now to cut down on the weight factor. Nevertheless...you'll be very happy with a Highwayman. I see you're in Beamsville. If you are also interested in a good deal on a mint D410XLT let me know.

12. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The music store is going to let me take home the WT-500 tomorrow to try out for a few days. That should give me the time I need to decide. I may even get to use it on a gig.

As for a cabinet, I am thinking about the 410XST. I like the idea of a flat response cab down to 36hz! The XLT colors the tone a bit too much for my tastes.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    If you only have 8-ohm cabs, you're not going to get 250 watts per side, you're going to get about 180 watts per side. Either that or you can bridge for 500 watts into one 8-ohm cab.

Now if you have only 4-ohm cabs, you can indeed get 250 watts per side, but you cannot bridge into any of them.