1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seriously though, why do other countries get all the special albums releases?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kwesi, Aug 23, 2012.

1. I touched on this a bit as a joke in a another thread but now I'm genuinely curious.

Anyone mind dropping some knowledge? I see a lot of albums released in, say, Japan or Europe and they get bonus tracks and stuff while the US gets the shaft. I've dropped cash and called in favor to get international album releases but why is this a thing in the first placE?

2. You have the internet, does it matter? :p

Though I honestly don't know why (have seen it happen the other way too, albums without bonus material over here).

3. Good question! Almost the same situation with cars! The U.S. misses out on some great foreign stuff :(

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The Japanese are less likely to buy without bonus tracks apparently... They are also known to consume things so they are the most likely region to buy 2 separate releases of one disc to complete their collection.

I don't know about EU, didn't think it was nearly as common. Although Brits are far more likely to buy singles disc than Americans, I wouldn't be surprised if this was common elsewhere in Europe.

Cars are most likely due to safety standards and the cost of re-designing cars for the North American/German market. Each country has safety requirements a car must conform too, there are American cars you cannot even bring into Canada for this reason. They are not considered street legal.

5. I don't know how true that is anymore (Brits buying singles). Don't see singles that often in the shops these days (certainly remember there being much more of them about when I was in my teens).

Though that is going by personal experience, so it may be a regional thing.

6. I do remember reading somewher that Japan has one of the highest prices in CDs, so maybe its a sort of incentive to get people to buy the albums?

About the car thing, some reasons not to import certain cars or engines is pretty pointless. I hear in Japan they have strict emission laws but some of their engines aren't up to U.S. standards? Yet we get to drive giant gas guzzling Hummers..

7. I've noticed this too. trying to get a hold of these tracks is a chore, but for some bands (korpiklaani, amon amarth, wednesday 13) its kinda fun.

8. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    From memory; CDs are expensive in Japan. They put bonus tracks on them to encourage the locals to buy CDs from inside the country instead of getting them from overseas or in the past, purchasing grey imports etc.

9. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Cause we're better than you. :bag:

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Because Americans will not pay like other countries do.

Americans has for the most part abandon the concept of supporting artists financially for Cd's.

The state of CD sales I wouldn't be to concerned about in the near future.

CD sales in the US will be a thing of the past. CD's will just become commercials/previews for what artists may present during a live performance.

11. Actually, my statement was meant to include digital album releases as well. Which tend to be region locked also.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    At the end of the day it's all the same.

13. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA

Yeah! I'm sick and tired of Japan getting all the cool $h*t! I payed for the darned album, now give me all the tracks!

Same thing goes for Fender Japan.....

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This is the model the Grateful Dead, Phish, and other jambands have used for years. Seems to work ok for them.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Exactly.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Man, remember the days of spending $20USD for 1 CD? In recent years, the only time I ended up doing this is when an independent music store was willing to sell me a CD before the release date. No extra fees for selling early, the CD sold for the same price on release day. As an independent store they still had CD's priced at what they sold for in the 1990's just to keep the place open.