1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seriously, What Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MammaryVest, Dec 10, 2006.

1. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    What pedal will give me a nice distorted sound, that won't cut out my bass frequencies, and has minimal background noise?

2. Moose308

Moose308

May 3, 2002
    Canada
    This depends entirely upon what sort of distortion you are looking for (listening for?)

I think there are three basic types of distortion pedals to be had. Overdrive, Distortion, and Fuzz. Each have a fairly distinct sound, and inside each category each model of pedal can sound quite different.

It might help if you could give examples of the type of distortion you are thinking about. Are there any recordings by major artists that you can name that make you think "I want my bass to sound like THAT!"

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The flavors are endless...

Muff tastes good.

5. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

yes, indeed!

yummy fuzz! :hyper:

6. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    I'm gonna go demo the MXR Blowtorch... I've read good things about it.... we'll see

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    HomeBrew Hematoma
    BJF Blue Berry

HOLY BALLS do I love both those pedals. Read the distortion megathread, great information.

8. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The Muff. Lots of background noise if you have it on while not playing. Anyone tried a noise gate after it btw? If so how does it work?

Mm, Blue Berry...

Listening to the demo on MXR's site, it doesn't sound very good.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=263&pmh=products/p_and_e_detail

9. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Best distortion/overdrive I've ever tried:

Barge Concepts VFB-2 with a guitar EQ pedal (could be a cheap one like the behringer) and a tube-preamp in the loop.

I've just finished that setup recently and it's just the best overdrive/distortion tone IMO :) Putting the guitar EQ pedal before the tube-preamp to push the tubes harder and EQ'ing the distortion/overdrive tone.

After finding the desired distortion tone I just blended the clean signal into it with the VFB-2. Yummie! :) I'll try to record some soundclips for you before christmas!

10. dexterward

dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I recently got a blowtorch and I really like it. You can get a pretty wide range of fuzz tones between the eq, blend, and 'torch' controls.

Some of the settings do sound pretty brassy/strange when you're playing by yourself, but when you're playing with loud, distorted guitars it sounds great, cuts right through the mix.

On the other hand, I really love the Big Muff, but i seem to get buried in the mix as soon as I step on it.

It's worth checking out if you play any kind of heavy music.

11. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    yeah blowtorch is definitely made to be fit in a band, think of timmy C's tone withs well in a band, but kinda harsh when solo

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Setting the tone so you still have some high-end bite will help, also (as with most OD/dist/fuzz pedals) a volume boost when you engage the effect is usually necessary to be heard in a mix. I have my LBM set so the effect is definitely heard - and felt - when I stomp on that bad boy.

13. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    I recently picked up the MXR Blowtorch, it really does sound much better in a band situation then solo.

14. Is the XXL Bass too aggressive?
    I want the sound like flea's around the world intro. But a bit more middy and ballsy. Ya think the XXL can do that?

15. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I had one for a spell, didn't like it. It was extreme distortion with a significant loss of low end. I would say the Warp dial was sorta cool but um, it didn't really do anything. Flimsy construction, difficult to match clean/distorted volumes, blah blah blah I really didn't like that pedal. :smug: