Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Serving alcohol to minors...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Aqueousillusion, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Aqueousillusion

Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    I work at a bowling center and we have a pub, and the other day my boss served alcohol to a minor, got arrested and everything. He got out within like 5 hours, and he is still aloud to work. I like my boss and all, but I am not so sure if this is right. I mean he didn't card the kids or anything, but he gets off? I mean he commited a felony! I know people who get life for stealing bread for there family! Whats with this...

2. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    man you do not get arrested for that up here, The person and the place both get a fine. And you obviously get in more **** if you get busted more than once. But going to jail for selling a minor a beer once? thats kinda harsh. Where do you live that people get life for stealing bread once?

3. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I don't think its a felony; it's a misdemeanor, not sure what class.

Usually, the punishment for the first offense is a heavy fine, but any more after that may result in the venue being shut down, or having their liquor permit taken.

Vince

4. Aqueousillusion

Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    well, no we have the three strike rule in new mexico, and thats why they put him in for life. I don't know, but it sounds like he was serving these kids for awhile. Yeah, and here its pretty bad, we have major drinking and driving problems in NM so they are stric about all that stuff.

5. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    they are really strict about Drinking and driving here but no so much about underage drinking. A place will lose their permit if they get busted to much though.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    any twit that serves alcohol to little kids deserves to be in jail.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sounds like a wake-up call. He better start carding people. Out here in LA, they have ABC people wandering around all over the place, and some of them "look" very underage. Club owners are taking a big risk if they don't card people who "look" anywhere close to underage. Not that it doesn't happen, it happens all the time. But, you're playing the odds. The probability is, that the longer you do that kind of thing, the bigger the chances are you'll eventually get busted.

I agree that the three-strikes law is "cruel and unusual", and probably unconstitutional. Here in California, there have been several attemps to amend the law, only one of which has been successful. But it's exactly cases like that, where someone ends up going to jail for stealing a loaf of bread, that seems to have woken people up to the injustice of that kind of thing. The three-strikes law, IMO, is supposed to be a "deterrent", in much the same way that the death penalty is. Granted that some people are "intractable" in that regard, and know no other way of living. But it's very unfair to penalize "everyone" for the intractable behavior of a few individuals.

8. While most of the bars up here will card anyone who walks through the door, most of the liquor stores will just ask for your birthdate when you check out. As long as you say a birthdate within stuttering or hesitating, they won't ask to see your ID. I've seen several high school students walk out with cases of beer without having to show one ID.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Exactly how I feel.

I see people outside the 7-11 going inside to buy beer for the kids outside. Makes me sick. I usually say something to them when I go in...to the adults that is.

-Mike

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You think that's bad, my local packie will give you a cup if you ask them. Nothing's worse than knowingly contributing to drinking & driving.

A packie a few towns over just got busted for selling booze on Sunday (a no-no in this blue-law state). They'll have their license suspended for a few, but the guy didn't go to jail or anything.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I used to talk to the juvenile officer at the middle school I worked at all the time and he was telling me about doing stings for selling cigarettes and tobacco to minors. He'd get high school kids to do it and he would make sure they were obviously high schools kids by having them wear a letter jacket or something.

He said one time he had a really nice little HS girl doing it and when she asked for cigarettes this big lady working behind the counter just went off on her bitching her out for smoking at her age and trying to buy cigarettes and whatnot. He congratulated her of course. :)

Then other times he would have people flat out deny that they sold tobacco to the kids when he had been standing right there watching them do so.

brad cook

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well...as long as he doesn't have to work silently.

brad cook

13. That's pretty shady, especially considering that a lot of high school kids can actually legally purchase cigarettes. Obviously they should be carded, but if cigarettes weren't marketed to the young, there might not be such a problem.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It doesn't matter man, you still have to card them and he made sure to get people that WERE underage and looked underage. He's a cool guy...he's not the type to try and trick people in an underhanded way. That was part of his assigned job as juvenile officer and I'm quite certain he did it with integrity.

brad cook

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    One of the good things to come out of the Sydney Olympics was a tightening of the screws in this regard. The fines are now so high that getting caught could put you out of business. I'm 32, I look 32, and I am often stoped and asked to produce I.D before entering a bar. I think it's great.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When I buy alcohol I don't usually get carded when I'm with my wife but I most often do when I'm alone. I look younger than my 29 years. Neither of us EVER seem to get carded when we order drinks at a restaurant.

brad cook

17. I don't question the guy's integrity or that it was his assignment, but getting kids to try to enter an illegal transaction in an attempt to catch the seller is sort of underhanded, I think. I guess there's not really a way around that sort of thing, but it's still not the most honest method in the world. Just my two cents, of course.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    In Ohio, it is a misdemeanor of the first degree which has a maximum possible penalty of 6 months and/or $1000 fine. That is
    not including any civil penalties the Liquor Commission could levy against the owner's license. The kicker on this one, is that there is a mandatory minimum penalty of $500, which can be quite a chunk of change to a weekend waitress or bartender.

19. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    can i just ask two questions:
    1. whats the legal drinking age in mexico
    2. what age were these "kids"

thanks.

20. He's from New Mexico. A state in the southwestern US