Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Serving at the pleasure of the State

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'm gonna be gone for awhile, I got tagged for jury duty. Please rest assured that all egregious commentary will be dealt with upon my return.

2. Can't you bring a laptop?

3. That depends on the nature of the case. If it's a high profile case, then a total jury blackout could be ordered.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My wife got called for jury duty a few weeks ago and was so pissed about it. Me, I've never been called and would totally dig it.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I got called once. I got seated but then based on answers in my questionnare I was questioned about some of my life's experiences and how I would approach some issues. After several trips to the bench by the defense attorney and prosecutor, the prosecutor removed me.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ed...That's what you get for filing a tax return.

7. We'll miss you of course....by the way, where the hell has Ray been lately?
    When they ask you about your profession, are you gonna admit to being a musician?

8. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Ed is gonna help put Mike in jail!

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Many are cold, few are frozen.

I didn't make it past the voir dire, so now I is returned.

They take great joy in telling you NO ELECTRONIC GEAR - so no laptops, cell phones, MD players etc etc. Bore Ing. I read 3 books in 2 days.

10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Nice. They said they'd hit me up in December.
    What books did you read? anything good?

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Well there you go. They saw that you could read. They're not going to pick anyone that actually reads. ;)

12. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    yeah, educated Americans make bad citizens...

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    SUMMERLAND - Michael Chabon
    THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT -Mark Haddon
    GENTLEMEN'S BLOOD - Barbara Somebody or another. It's a history of dueling.

14. We're all happy you're back, Ed
    I always liked jury duty in the summer because it gave me a chance to sit in an air-conditioned room for the better part of a day. And let me get caught up on my reading.

15. Welcome back, Peter.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Never a Dalla moment...

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hah! I'd think that this would surely generate a "***?" from some of our newer members...

18. littlekatie

littlekatie

Jul 14, 2004
    London, UK
    what did you think of the curious incident one?
    i found it quite hard to like...although its an insight i didnt really get into it at all

19. Howd'ja like Summerland? My kid and I read it last winter and enjoyed it immensely, even though neither of us are baseball fans. Chabon really kitchen-sinked the American folklore/urban legend/faerie/Tall Tale thing, though, which, I know, was the whole idea.

Hannah and I agreed it would make very cool movie (possibly featuring Sigourney Weaver as Taffy the Sasquatch).

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I liked all of'em. SUMMERLAND was fun, the only other Chabon I've read was THE FINAL SOLUTION. They have to rip out so much of books to get them on the screen, it would almost be a shame if this one got made. I'd prolly still go.

CURIOUS INCIDENT was a pretty insightful look at autism, for a work of fiction. Looking at all that emotion through a character who had none, I found interesting.