1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Session bassist wanted!!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Silaxian, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I am helping someone in Fort Mill, SC to locate a bassist for an original project. The music is highly progressive and requires a bassist comfortable with odd time signatures and shifting key changes. The sample I heard reminded me of King Crimson/Gentle Giant/Mars Volta. You may get a different impression. In any case, playing this music will require a high level of competence. If any of you are interested, please contact me via this forum so I can arrange to send you the sample I mentioned for your listening.

I have no financial interest in this project, I am merely trying to help a fellow musician locate the right bassist for the project. Fort Mill, SC is located near my hometown of Charlotte, NC. The person I am assisting has been placing ads on Craigslist for quite some time to no avail, so I thought this might be helpful.

Additionally, the primary ad can be found here:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/muc/257935926.html

:help:

Thanks

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Try posting this in the bassist wanted section of the forum.

3. and....you're not really looking for a session bassist; you're looking for a band member, so maybe you should adjust the title. "Looking for a session bassist" says all you need is someone to cut tracks.

4. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks, but I don't see a section entitled "Bassists Wanted". Where is it?

:confused:

5. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    This is a project, and I am only involved to the extent that I am trying to help someone find the right bassist to cut tracks for it. There is nothing either in my original post or in the primary party's ad on Craigslist that suggests to me this is to establish a band. So I am curious, what made you think it was?

6. policyvote

policyvote

Jul 31, 2006
    Holt, MI
    I got the same impression, and I think it was:

"An original project" sounds like there is a new band that is forming/has just been formed, and they are trying to locate a bassist. That is different than "There's a band that just needs a pro to cut some tracks for an otherwise-complete disc."

Peace
    policy

7. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

I suppose it means different things to different people. As for me, a project is a one time deal, not the establishment of a standing band. When I read the primary party's original ad on Craigslist, there was no doubt in my mind that this was for recording purposes. This was confirmed by my ensuing correspondence with the poster. Here's the ad as it appeared originally:

SEEKING BASS PLAYER FOR ORIGINAL PROJECT. Must be comfortable with odd time signatures & shifting key changes. Innovative thinkers. Progressive Rock/Jazz/Fusion. Rehearse 2 nights a week in Ft. Mill, SC. Email for more info. jaycoh@earthlink.net

Sorry for any misunderstandings. I hope that someone will be able to participate in the project. I have listened to a sample and found the music to be quite interesting, but beyond my practical abilities as a musician. I can arrange for any interested bassists here to obtain the same sample I have (a 6 mb MP3 file), if interested.

:help: