1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Session Bassist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thebbconspiracy, Jul 24, 2012.

1. I know, this is a long shot. But I want to know some pointers. Mostly gear wise.
    I'm a 20 year old bassist, been playing for 5 years, can read notation, tab, have a good ear, Nashville numbers (I live in Bakersfield, so I felt it was needed) and chord charts. I know scales. But my questions are, (probably a stupid question) do I really need to have a P and J bass or is that just rumor? Right now I have a Gibson Tbird, and a Ibanez fretless that I'm modding to have a P/J set up. So, I guess my real question is, does anyone have any pointers for the step in the right direction?

2. erock0138

erock0138

Feb 4, 2011
    Cincinnati
    In my experience, (adding that so I don't get burned for this). Most of the studios I've been hired in usually want a p or j, and sometimes a sansamp di. Why? Because they're the most common, they know how to get the sounds they want from them. You're hired to play bass, write parts, give the songs what they need, be accurate, and on time, etc. They are hired to make the album/song sound good. And most producers/engineers control your sound, that usually starts with a p and or a j.

3. erock0138

erock0138

Feb 4, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Also, having another bass strung with flats comes in very very handy.

4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I think the days when a Fender was seen as a "requirement" are long-gone, although Fenders are still well-respected. I have numerous Fenders and have recorded with most of them, but today's engineers have a variety of tools at their disposal and are much more accustomed to variety, IME. Probably the biggest difference is the growth of digital; having the ability to work with multiple tracks in the digital realm with a DAW has relieved the pressure of "the clock" to a large extent compared to working with tape and then ADAT. Back in the old days, which in my case was the '70's, engineers moved quickly setting up a bass tone and had less time & fewer tools to deal with post-production than today, particularly in high-volume commercial studios. Fender indeed was the standard then, but not as much a "requirement" as I sometimes read these days, at least where I recorded. If I were you I would bring what's comfortable to wear for a long period of time, tunes quickly and stays in tune reliably, buzzes minimally between takes and sounds good all the way up and down the fretboard (and old Fenders DO have dead spots). Those are what really matters, IMHO. Oh, and bring your concentration. That matters most of all.

5. Okay cool. My Tbird actually has flats. I play flats mostly, and my fretless has rounds. Weird huh? lol My friend has a 1980s P bass that he lets me use with flats on it (flats that I bought.) Okay, and I'm open to any genre really, my dad is a drummer and a trumpeter and showed me a lot of different music at a young age. I just really want to get into a direction and attempt to crack this thick egg. I've been hearing that flats are becoming popular again. Anyone know anything about that?

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Doesn't have to be a Fender, or even a P or J body style, but you really should have something with a P/J or J pickup set (that isn't fretless).