Session Guy or Own Band???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Hey having a bit of a tough time chosing where i wanna head in my bass career...i cant choose whether to start my own jazz,funk,reggae type band or become a session fella..i have been giggin with a local metal band who pay me $100 per gig so...i'd appreciate any input from experienced people..(****..listen to me goin all pro:p )
    cheers heath
    p.s how fun is it to play country music and sleigh ride by stu hamm
  2. i may as well desribe my rig...i use a peavey mark 3 head with a laney "15 cab(which will mystically transform itself into an SWR Triad 1), zoom multi effects and boss envelope filter(bootsy style all the way) and a Ibanez atk300 (which will be up for sale soon) and im about to get a 89 kubicki ex-factor(which, as ive mentioned many times was stu hamms)
  3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Why choose one or the other? If you have the time, do both.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Yeah, do both, at least for now.

As long as your current band is gigging and rehearsing regularly ($100 per gig? - I don't like metal and I want that gig!) and you like it, might as well keep that going. It's not like you're gonna be overbooked with studio gigs right off the bat.

I wouldn't give up a sure thing before having another. Good luck. Just get your name out there and keep rehearsing regularly. If the studio thing pans out, go with that. Good luck.

AFAIK, most decent studios nowadays are able to get a decent sound out of any decent bass, so the Kubicki should be fine...
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, but those are Oz $$$. That's like €1.00, or US$1.20, right?:D

heath, I agree with everybody else. Why not do both for now, if you have the time.
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    D'ooh! Never mind.

I think I was just excited at the prospect of getting a hundred anything for a gig.;)
    Actually, I've made about or over a hundred on occasion. Usually, though, it's burrito money...

Besides, the trip to Australia is reportedly brutal (hey, Ringo wouldn't lie, would he?)
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is the Newcastle scene big enough to support a career as a session musician? If you were going to go that way you'd probably have to consider a move down to sydney, or be prepared to make the treck regularly. There are a lot more bands and venues down here.

I found that session work is easier to come by once you've been playing in bands for a while. People get to know your name. Initially they will associate your name with whatever band you're playing with but that stops once you start playing with several bands regularly. Eventually people will start to think of you as a freelancer.

But the trick as a session player is to be versatile. Be prepared to play all sorts of music, especially at first.

The irony is that session work flows from being in a band, but band offers come in thick and fast for session players. I guess one is a natural progression to the other. I find I'm happiest when I'm doing a bit of both.
  8. yeah..i am pretty cd collection ranges from bach to metallica to charles mingus to primus to chili peppers to vai and satriani and of course hendrix, led zeppelin, stevie wonder and ben harper....i play mostly finger style,slap and tap but i occasionally use a pik...only if the song needs it tho
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    OK but be prepared to play all that and more. You haven't listed any pop acts. What would you do if you're asked to play Britney Spears or Kylie Minouge covers. What about Slim Dusty or Jonny Cash country tunes. You may think it's corny stuff but, would you be professional enough to play these songs as well as the ones you like?
  10. prepared to play anything. i love all types of music..i just love playing and losing myself in the music basically
  11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  12. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Judging by your age, I think you should do both if you can. Experience is the best thing.
    Once you achieve additional experience I think you will look at that $100 and laugh. Not that $100 is nothing to laugh at, but there is a lot more $$$ to be made in playing music if that is what you decide you want to pursue once you finish school. There is a business side to playing music you appear to have a good start.

Are you skilled at reading chord charts and notation ?

Good Luck
  13. i can read chord charts..but my notation skills are a bit bodgee...working on that at the moment actually...i have finished school..about a month ago and im working full time....
    does anyone still make 2x12's i played through one and i loved it..i was about to order a david eden but they just cancelled them..and ampeg or swr dont make any as far as i know...if i cant find a 2x12 an eden 2x10 and 1x15 could be on order if i like them over a swr triad...
    cheers heath
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    12's aren't common over here for some reason. But there is a bit of a ripple starting........

I know that Labsystems are prototyping one at the moment. A mate of mine works for a Labsystems dealer and they have asked him to road test it for a while. I'll lket you know how it goes.

The other thing that cmes to mind is a 2x12 being developed my one of Australian Monitor's former designers for a prominent Sydney bass player. He's basing it on his QMX design so it will be 2x12's with a horn in between them. It uses Selenium drivers thought he wouldn't tell me which. They've promised to let me borrow it for a while once it's finished.......

The other one that comes to mind is Epifani. The Bass Player in Annandale sells them. Give them a call.