Session Playing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TooFunkToDrunk, Dec 12, 2001.

1. K, I wanna be a session player. Now, besides sight reading and just overall music theory, I'm not sure what to work on. Obviously I should get an overall feel for as many styles as I can, but what else? Where should my focus be? And once I'm amply prepared to finally "go pro" how do I get noticed? What sort of things should I put on my resume, etc. Any help/suggestions/must-do's and don'ts greatly appreciated.

2. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Session work is a good way to go in music, I like it much more than playing in bands, theres alot less you have to worry about and not as much b.s. that goes with it. at least thats imo.

Its great to know how to site read in session work, but Ive never had to actually site read a line, Ive just been given charts

if your lucky youll get to rehearse one or two times. two if your really lucky it all depends, usually ive had at least one rehearsal with most of the ppl ive sat in with or done studio time with. Sometimes Ive just been given a tape/cd, and told to learn the line and show up at such and such a time. Some I didnt get a rehearsal at all. Just a chord chart and was told to lay it down.

With session work your usually asked in to play, and thats usually due to word of mouth from other musicians.

The best way to get your name out there or to start making a name for yourself imo is:

Audition for every band possible. This will help you meet people and theyll also get the chance to hear you play. You never know, they may know someone who could use your services for a gig or studio session. (This is also how i wound up gettin my 1st gig like that)

hang out were amature and professional musicians conglomerate, guitar/bass techs are also a good place to hang. Good techs know people.

Become an aprentice at recording studios, be the gofer (go fer this, go fer that) It may not be all that glamorous, but its a foot in the door. and youll start meeting people that way.

Attend music seminars, youll meet other musicians there as well. I like to go to any seminar thats being held, (drums, bass, vocal, guitar, keyboards)

get business cards made up and put them in music stores in your area, as well as the surrounding areas. keep some in your wallet or car and hand them out to any musician you meet.

and without a doubt be as versatile as you possibly can be. saturate yourself in as many styles as possible, even the ones you hate.

these are just a few tips ive picked up along the way, and by no means am i trying to imply that it got me any professional gigs, ive only done session work for amatures needing a bassist for gigs and studio time.

Good luck!