Set List For Pg

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JonnyParker, May 14, 2001.

1. JonnyParker

Mar 8, 2001
    So, just wanting opinions. My band is going to play a gig and this is the setlist. What do you think? Good music for a good show?
    d-7,drain u, territorial pissings, aneurysm, school, floyd, tourettes, rape me, breed, rockin in the free world, ****ing up, sonic reducer, corduroy, molly's lips, grievance, tyler (toadies), motivational (toadies), backslider (toadies), jigsaw girl (toadies), no problem (local h), parallel universe (RHCP)........

i think that's pretty much it. Perhaps this couuld be a rockin concert if played right???
    Suggestions comments accepted.

IP: Logged
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You're playing a song called "Rape Me?" What is this world coming to? :(
  3. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    It's a pretty famous/popular Nirvana song... been around for about 10 years or so...
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i'll tell ya one thing it sounds like.... a potential GIG STORY!! yay! (the crowd goes wild) it's off to gig stories we go! (the crowd chants, does the wave and cheers)

5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

It's kind of weird though. What is the song about? I have to tell you, the subject of rape is an extremely serious one, one which most men could never comprehend. I seriously hope this isn't a flippant song.
  6. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
  7. Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Rape me is a good song. It's not about a sexual assault at all, if you ask me. Now sure many women could get up in arms and assume that that is what is being talked about. To me it's about someone giving up on life and just resigning themselves to the fact that they are being used and abused by people -- or in uglier terms raped.
    Good song, though. Not flip at all.
  8. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    If I'm correct, some activists did get disgruntled about the song title and Wal-Marts all around had to change the words on the back of the album to "Waif Me" or something like that.
  9. yea, isn't it great when you are jamming all night and the only song that gets the crowd up happens when you have run out of songs so you kick into Rock and Roll by Gary Glitter. :(
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok guys...Rape is a VERY serious thing. However, it is neither funny, nor a gig related matter. So have this discussion else where. Thanks!
  11. Just wanted to clear this up once and for all, Jazzbo, you have misinterpreted the song. Easy to do. What Cobain was writing about is the way he felt that he and his family were 'raped' by the media, and he had good reason to feel this way, he nearly lost custody of his child because of a false magazine article. When Cobain yells "rape me!" it was meant as a plea to the media to be left alone. Unforunately nobody listened, and we all know what resulted...
    The song has absolutely nothing to do with any sexual crimes. In fact Cobain was very vocal about his hatred towards the type of person who would commit this act, he wrote several songs expressing this, and even wrote in the liner notes to Nirvana's second album "if you are in anyway a woman hater
    dont buy my records. I dont care that you like me because I hate you, and I dont want you to listen to or buy my music".

Jim. (who doesnt want a very good and touching song to be tarnished because of its name)
  12. PocketRocket

PocketRocket Guest

Apr 25, 2001
    Topeka, Kansas
    We played a wedding reception out of town one night about an hour from where I live. Being a wedding reception and all, we (I) naturally assumed there would be at least a keg of beer there - there was - and I had brought my own half-litre beer mug along.
    On the first break, I filled my mug and proceeded to my truck to relax for a bit......For some odd strange reason, I had decided that my mug would sit just fine on the steering wheel and as soon as I let go of it, it of course, it spilled all over my crotch. Being a fairly formal affair, I had worn khaki Dockers and had not brought a spare pair of pants. As I was in the parking lot cursing my luck and contemplating solutions, the skinny-ass guitar player shows up and when he's finished laughing, suggests that I wear a pair of his Nike warmups. Well, the only other alternative was to get the rest of my trowsers wet so as to "hide" the wet spot so I accepted his offer. Like I said, this guy was skinny - I'm not!.......two songs into the next set, the top button on the warmups (they of course, buttoned up the sides) popped big deal i thought....a few minutes later the next popped and then the next......well, you get the idea. I was holding up my pants with my bass and the drummer, who had noticed what was happeing, was laughing so hard that he culdn't keep any sort of time.....the rest of the night was spent in slightly damp, darker than normal khaki Dockers. This was the last time I ever played outta town without taking a change of clothes...........
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How can I misinterpret something I never gave an interpretation of in the first place?! My posts never give an interpretation of the song. Not once.

I read through the lyrics as provided and have my opinions regarding the song, but I have no desire to share them.
  14. Ok Jazzbo, it was a poor word choice on my part, I apologise. I probably should have said you judged it by its name. My interpretation of the lyrics comes directly from Kurt Cobain himself. You can read the interview in 'Come As You Are', the only biography of the man that he authorised and assisted in the making. So only this can be taken as the 'official' meaning of the song.
  15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Back to the set list of the original post. There is a wide variety of bands, but for some reason many of the songs are from The Toadies. Nothing wrong with The Toadies, mind you.

My thought is this, the audience may wonder, just as I did, why there seems to be such an abundance of Toadies songs...assuming, of course, your audience even recognizes them as such. Still, it is always safe to assume some one or several people in the audience are quite well informed in this area. See you don't want to give the appearance of being a Toadies cover band.

I think I'd drop two of those songs and choose songs from two other know, for balance. That's just my opinion.