Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Set List Suggestions

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mr.Phil, May 20, 2005.

1. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Ok... Here's the deal:
    Venue: Country Blues Cross over Bar
    Audience: Nascar Fans, Red Necks, etc.(Some people that grew up in the late 50's and early 60's too)
    Anyway, what will work in this setting that will keep the band from going nuts and the audience from flipping out. The last time I went to a similar bar, they played Buddy Holly, CCR, etc. Should I look into that stuff too? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Well, I wouldn't bust out David Bowie at that place unless you've got a helmet and some body armor ;) There's nothing wrong with a little Creedence now and then. Skynrd sounds acceptable also.

3. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Indeed... No PHish songs will be making there way into this set...

4. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Classic Rock. From the last half of the 20th century. I would start around something like Mustang Sally.
    RD

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Beatles, Stones, Johnny Cash, Steve Earle, April Wine, Grand Funk Railroad, Led Zep, Golden Earring, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Eagles

That should fit the crowd you describe.

6. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Grateful Dead as well. Eagles, SRV, Hendrix, Thorogood, Buffett, Cheap Trick, early Def Leppard (as well as the others mentioned previously). Dont' do AC/DC if the singer can't hit the notes w/out a falsetto - that'll get you laughed off stage. Same with Zep. Mony Mony is a must. Get someone to shout out the "Get Laid, Get ****ed" part.

The metal has to be on the edge for a crowd like that. While "Whole Lotta' Rosie" would work, "Money Talks" probably wouldn't. High notes work, but only if your singer can hit them full voice and not come in flat or use a falsetto. Nothing is more silly than a cover band that has a singer who falls short or has to do his best Barry Gibb to hit "You Shook me All Night Long".

For borderline country, do "Friends in Low Places" (goes over everywhere), "5'Oclock Somewhere" [Alan Jackson/Jimmy Buffett], and "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" by Travis Tritt.

7. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Train Kept A Rollin'
    Freebird
    On the Tweek Again

:ninja:

9. Freebird

If you don't play this one, you're going to be asked to play it by the fans anyways, so learn it now :)

10. Allman Bros, Little Feat, Doors, Neil Young, maybe Bob Seger

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Aything by Willie Nelson for some slower tunes.
    Anything by Johnny Cash esp. "Folsom Prison Blues".
    "Johnny B. Goode". Any 50's rock.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned "Born to Be Wild".

"East SIde and Down" will go over big time. You may know it as the Smokey and the Bandit theme.

I'm not sure how new country will work. You might try "I love this bar" or "Some beach".

12. Sweet Home Alabama.

Be prepared to play both kinds of music, Country AND Western.

Culture Club may not go over very well.

Randy

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Can't You See - Marshall Tucker.........3 chords for $#&*s sake.
    Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Swee Home Bama - Skynyrd
    Whipping Post - Allman Bros
    Melissa - Allman Bros

14. ELVIS!!!
    jailhouse rock, don't be cruel, heartbreak hotel, etc...

15. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Green Grass and High Tides by the Outlaws!

That song rocks and everybody can shine if you taylor it to your band. How 'bout Ramblin' Man by the Allman's (Do you have a key tapper)? Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing?

Charlie Daniels, Mellencamp, Toby Keith, Van Morrison, Merle Haggard standards, etc...