Set neck body + bolt on neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jondog, Apr 13, 2019.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I bought this body on ebay Unfinished bass guitar body with pick guard popular style | eBay
    and now that it's here I think it must be made for set neck. The neck pocket is very deep and the wood at the bottom is thin. I already bought a bolt-on neck for this project. Should I glue some wood into the pocket, or onto the neck heel, and then try to bolt it, or try to glue it, or should I give up on mating this neck and body and start shopping for a set neck? I would rather not do the last option but will if you all think I'm crazy for wanting to do it any other way. Thanks for your help!

2. I believe the necks for those kits are cut out to fit under the neck pickup. I don't 100% remember but I think they are glue in also. I'm sure some people have posted about them here.

You might be able to fill in the neck pocket area and route out to match the neck you have. The problem is, to get enough of the neck in the body for adequate support a standard Fender style neck will be in the neck pickup route area and that will also move the bridge back on the body, possibly off or partially off of the body. You'd have to take some measurements.

Could you contact Pitbull and see how much a neck from them would be?

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Also, if you can post up some pics of various angles, plus the dimensions, I bet the collective hive mind here can do some problem solving and come up with some options to consider. :)

4. Englishman

Englishman

Apr 26, 2017
    Detroit
    Anything is possible, some things are more problematic than others.
    If you try to bolt in a long scale neck, you won't be able to access the upper frets and there's a good chance the bridge would have to be located south of the strap button.You would have to carve out the pickguard also.

Best bet is to try and find the correct glue in neck and save the bolt on for the next project.

Kinda need a body extension similar to the one I did on this bass.
    F2C43E1C-84F3-4D96-BE45-563CF21BD9FC.jpeg

Edit: Although now I think about it, you could add the extension by routing the existing channel through to just before the edge of where the pickguard will end and then glue in a block long enough to allow you to rout out the bolt on neck pocket.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks guys. I searched online and it looks like Pit Bull discontinued this kit so I don't think I'll be able to buy the right neck. I did find some cool build threads like this one Rooks RCA-4!!! but this project is starting to look like a lot of work that I don't have the time or skills for. I've assembled parts basses before that came out great, but I've never worked with set necks. I understand Englishman's body extension concept but am not confident that I could rout a clean neck pocket. Maybe if the extension block was the right thickness I could keep the existing pocket sides because they do fit the neck I want to use.

6. An extension on the neck pocket is doable but needs some thought. I did it on a guitar body I was converting to 32" scale bass. I knew the joint was end grain to end grain so I doweled the glue joint and used good glue. The extension kept flexing tilting the neck. I finally ended up epoxying a steel bar in there and it's been fine ever since.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK I made some measurements -- the neck is 34" scale. If I push it all the way into the pocket the bridge will not fit on the body, but halfway in it will fit fine. The pickguard extends 1.5" down past the neck pickup rout. I was thinking about making a shallow rout there to make a shelf to anchor the body extension w/ screws. The extension would be shaped something like this __i- with the long part getting bolted to the neck. I think I can make it out of wood but I was wondering if/how I could buy a piece of metal in that shape.