set neck cracked at neck pocket....fixable?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jaguarcat311, May 2, 2005.

1. a friend of mine was playin his guitar, the strap fell off, the neck dove straight to the floor, and the set neck cracked around the pocket. so, he put two wood screws from the bottom into the neck but it obviously doesnt remedy it very well. its a decent guitar and i hate to see it....dead, so does anyone know the best way to fix this? the neck comes up about 3 mm from the pocket and could be pulled out the rest of the way, but it obviously isnt a clean break since it is glued in. the options i see is fill the crack with tons and tons of some sort of wood glue or maybe even a thinner glue, or pull the neck all the way out and reglue it. does anyone have any suggestions or other options? by the way the guitar is an epi les paul double cut.
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Pull the neck out, clean the pocket, repair the neck and reglue it.

It's a lot of work but straightforward. Just as long as you stay focused and accurate, it's not a too big deal. And the only way to salvage the instrument.

Of course, you could get another neck to set in, but isn't that a bit of cheatin'? ;)
  3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Yes, it is fixable. How well the final result turns out is entirely based on the ability of the person doing the repair.

Suburban's description of the repair process is very accurate, and those of use who do guitar/bass tech work have done many of these type of repairs for set neck guitars (along with broken headstocks...etc...).

However, if you're not comfortable doing it and confident that the repair will turn out okay, take it to a local guitar tech and have them do it, it is not an expensive repair.
  4. I just got done gluing the neck. its in the clamps for another 24 hours or took some time to get all the previous glue out of the pocket, but it will deffinitely be worth it. The original setting was not done well at all. i simply pulled the neck right out of the body, the tennon left intact, the biggest chip that came off was 3mm x 5mm x 2mm. i think they used elmers glue.....anyway my friend told me if i fixed it he was gonna sell it and give me half of whatever he gets for it. when i unclamp it, i am going to find some touchup paint and a clear laquer of some sort and buff the hell out of where the paint cracked and chipped. im gonna try to get some pictures when im all done to see what people think about the finished work
  5. mater99

Jan 10, 2009
    How much would u say the repair cost? I hav the same problem with my guitar :'(
  6. I have a hairline crack in my Epi Thunderbird, same place... It's been there since I got it. this kinda explains why it is there. I've never noticed it upsetting anything with the bass though, I guess that crack is a lot smaller than this one. Or maybe mine was fixed up? I'm not sure now that I think about it.