1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Set neck help, please...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pflash4001, Mar 23, 2013.

1. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    So, I started messing around a bit under the TRC of my 1981 Rickenbacker 4000. I managed to get the truss rod nuts and the thrust bar off the bass. The truss rods were then loose, sliding back and forth in their channels...forgive me if I sound asinine. I've never done this before...I got those parts off, but wasn't able to get the truss rods completely out. I tried to reassemble and the nuts went on about as far as they'd go, but now the nutdriver is flush against the back of the headstock. I can't get it on the other nut because there isn't enough clearance. The action is improved...a bit...but it's still not really playable. I read something in another thread about shortening the truss rods. What is the purpose of that and would that help my situation any? There also seems to be a slight gap in the neck joint. When the strings are at tension, there is some play in the joint. Would that take steaming and neck removal to reset it, or could I remove the stings, nudge the neck a bit to open the gap enough to inject some wood glue and clamp it down to strengthen the joint? I've got a line on a possibility of starting up with a new band and I really would love to get this bass in playing shape. Thanks for your help with this...

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I can't say anything about the truss rods on a Rick, but the loose neck is the root of your action problems. Since you have to ask, You need to have it fixed by a pro otherwise you may not set it at a correct angle and further complicate the problems.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Necks are not supposed to "have play" in the joint. The first order of business is to remove the neck and reattach. This procedure is usually referred to as resetting the neck. This is a job for a pro. As far as the truss rods go, the pro will handle that during the neck reset.

For future reference, the truss rods can be removed and reshaped if necessary. Sometimes it takes a lot of effort to remove them. Again, if you are not handy in the extreme, this is a job for a professional tech.

4. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Thanks, guys...