Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

set neck???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Apr 16, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    is set neck a good config for a bass???? i dont know why but when i think of a glued neck some images of things beeing unglued come to my head...

2. Not really, it doesnt have the sustain of neck through and it doesn't have the punch of bolt on. Plus they tend to be uncomfortable around the heel. But if you like the sound, go for it.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i have to say i hav a set neck and it hits hard.... its a good build. however, it is a tad uncomfortable at the heel. i always thought it was the heel cut, but i guess not. but thats my 2 cents.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Well, Rickenbackers have been set neck for quite some time, and people certainly don't seem to have quality issues with them.

Edit, I misread this website and thought all Rickenbackers came with set necks around the mid 70's, but it was only the 4000 model and that was discountinued in 1987.

Sorry about that, I don't want to spread mis-information. :(

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    A set-neck is halfway between a NT and a BO - concerning tone...
    Depending on the builder and their building method, it can be a bit better or a bit worse...
    You dont need to worry much about the neck coming off - remember most of the bodies are glued together, too ;)
    But a BO neck can be taken off if broken/damaged - and it has more punch

6. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    I would tend to agree with Mutantbassist, but think that a set neck tone is not that far removed from a neck thru and for me is the best way to go. You can actually remove the neck on a set neck should you get into trouble though it's not a minor job as you would imagine. With a neck thru, if it develops major problems, you're basically buggered. I have no problem with the heel of a set neck, these can be sculptured quite nicely assuming the builder has half a brain.

7. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    To clarify, RIC made some set neck models years ago, but the majority are neck thru.

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, my Ric sure was a neck through...

9. My favorite basses have set in necks and are just as punchy and bright as they need to be and there is plenty of sustain. The neck heels are as comfortable as any neck thru and much more comfortable than any bolt on I've ever played or seen. The real test is the guality of the design and the execution of the work-if the joint is solid and the angle is right it's gonna be a sweet bass.

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I modified my earlier post. My bad, set necks were a 70s-80s thing. :(

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My set neck Nordstrand has great sustain, and almost as much punch as any of my bolt ons. And it is very comfortable around the heel, with as good upper fret access as my neck through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    embellisher you have a good collection of basses r you and the other guy from the 200000 party the bass buyer gods or something???

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No, I'm not a 'bass buyer god'.:D But God has been good to me!

I have been playing bass for 25 years or so, and I rarely sell anything. So, over the years, I have accumulated some stuff.

And I was blessed with a decent IT job 7 or 8 years ago. I have been compensating for having to play crappy gear in my younger years ever since!:) But I am pretty much done, as far as basses go. Now I just need to build a nice, high end amp setup.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Some modern Epiphones are set necks. I was just checking their Elite EB-3's out.

Set neck.