Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Set Of Aero Pickups With Maple Covers

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Bryan R. Tyler, May 3, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

These are Aero single coil pickups in a soapbar size (4 1/4 x 1 1/4) with maple covers. They're this exact pair (from that exact bass) on this site: http://www.aeroinstrument.com/e_series__5_.html

They have a very clear and articulate tone. I switched them out for Bart soapbars because I'm a Bart soapbar guy.

Make me an offer, or let me know if you have anything interesting to trade.

2. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Hey people, these should be drop-in replacements for your MK-1 pups found on Lakland 55-01, Cort Josh Paul, etc. If they're anything like Aero's other pickups then I'm sure they sound killer.

3. hey whats the spacing of the poles?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The spacing is 1/4" between each set of pole pieces.

5. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey...those are the pickups I designed for that bass!!
    I was the first guy to order Aeros with wood covers for an Elrick...I ordered a 4 string and a 5 string set. The bass he's pulling these out of is a FANTASTIC instrument!
    I don't think that these will fit the Bart MK-1 route. How do I know? Because I was sitting there when we sketched out the size of the pickups. They're of no particular size....we just made the bobbin for the pickup any size we wanted. It's a custom size. But, if by chance that it so happens to fit...cool! I just wanted to clarify that they are not of any other particular manufacturer's dimensions. Not a big deal if you know a luthier with a router.
    The pickups sound very good, BTW.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the added info, jacochops! The pickups are just a bit taller than the Bartolini P2 shape (same length side to side, about a centimeter longer from top to bottom).

I don't know what the Bart MK-1 shape is, but I replaced the Aeros with Bart P2 shaped soapbars and there's just a tiny bit of extra space in the route.

7. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    You're right that I should not have come across so certain. I was basing my assertion on the measurements and the fact that I've heard that Bart P2's can be substituted for the MK-1. A=B=C probably doesn't apply to all real life situations.

8. "The spacing is 1/4" between each set of pole pieces."

i am a bit confused. i am looking for string to string gap ie. from the centre of each pair of pole pieces to the centre of the next pair. i think i need about 15-16mm. 1/4 inch is about 6mm which seems strange.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sorry, I was measuring end-to-beginning. From middle-to-middle is between 17 and 18mm.

10. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    PM sent ...

R

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut