Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Set of Lane Poor's on ebay

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Landyachtz, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Well I hear how everyone rave's about these pickups, and how hard they are to find. Ran across these today, too bad they won't fit either of my basses. I figured you guys on here would want to know about this. btw this isn't my listing, and this isn't an advertisement for this listing, just thought someone might want to jump on this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lane-Poor-5-str...ryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: he's got the preamp here also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMG-BQ-A-18v-3-...oryZ7266QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Who in the world guts out a Fodera with Lane Poors??? From what I've read this is the ideal Fodera setup, am I wrong?

2. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
  3. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    weird, I've heard people on here rave about them, and supposedly they are hard to find since they aren't made anymore. Anyone have any experience with these?

4. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I have some Lane Poors. They are ok I guess.

5. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I have a set of SBs in my 5-string frankenfretless. So I don't know how much of this translates to the J-style LPs:
    -highly articulated with lots of detail, most hi-fi pickups I've played
    -very full bottom, but less bottom-heavy than Bart soaps
    -low output, have to be set closer to the string than most other pickups
    -tend to be microphonic, may require some care to avoid that in certain venues. This was an issue for me on only one occasion.

I don't have any way to analyze the output objectively, but they sound less "colored" than other pickups I've used. It seems like all the sound of the string is captured, which results in a really rich sound. The difference it made on my BB5000A was like night and day. The sound they produce is as far from the "Fender sound" as you can get, IMO.

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have lane poor soapbar pickups on my main custom bass. They don't require much eq'ing and sound wonderful. Responsive, quiet, and give a nice, generally uncolored, sound.

7. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    I have a pair of Lane Poor soapbars in the 91 Modulus Q5 that I recently bought from Dave Pickles. I have owned two Q5s in the past with EMGs and I found them both to be a bit too "hi-fi" for my taste. These Lane Poors are much warmer and they don't require much EQ if any. I recently installed an Aguilar OBP-3 in this bass and removed the old Lane Poor preamp. This new combination sounds even better!

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

from what I've gathered the wide aperture LP's are desireable, the narrow aperture's seem to be less than appealing. Never had the narrow aperture pups to know.