Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Set up basics for dummies!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MMStingRay, Apr 15, 2005.

1. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    Ok, there's a lot of talk about the setting up of your bass, Fret buzz or clicking, Intonation, Ba ba ba.
    I've been playing for some time now and have adjusted my old basses here and there but now I have sweet axe and don't want to go turning and twisting stuff without knowing what I'm doing. (I had the bass setup by a tech and the action was lower but everything else is wacked out now!) I would like "vary simply and clearly" for someone to tell me the definitions of a few simple things, PLEASE!

1. Intonation, simply put is making sure that the strings are correctly tuned in the open position and at the double dots (12th fret)? Yes, No?

2. To adjust intonation do you adjust the bridge up and down or foeward and backward?

3. Is "relief" the same thing as string height?

4. Is the string height adjusted with the bridge up and down?

5. The truss rod that runs inside the neck is to adjust the neck bow or string height?

thinks to anyone who can help on these!

2. If you do a search in set up you would find all your answers, having said that, here you go.

1. Yes

2. Foreward OR backward (i.e. toward the headstock, or away from the headstock)

3. No. Relief is the amount of bow in the neck.

4. Yes

5 Neck bow (relief).

......... :cool: ......... Jim

3. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    Thank You. quick and clear and no one got hurt!