Set-up for Carvin

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chrisjpb, Jan 19, 2005.

1. chrisjpb

Jan 19, 2005
    I'm a fairly new Bass player but i went ahead and ordered a pretty nice Carvin LB-75P and was beginning the set-up last night and just couldnt get the intonation right, i have the saddles of some strings really far back and they are still sharp. The Saddle screw is very taught and im afraid to tighten them much more. Should i continue or should i find a Pro. Problem is im from a small town so a pro wont be near. Any advice about set-up for bridge or truss rod would be appreciated. By the way, the bass came with flat wound strings straight from Carvin so i dont think they would be the problem. Help please. Chris
  2. I'm not sure I am much help because I have the same problem with my LB 75. What is strange is, that I have had my bass for almost 4 years and the intonation has always been fine, but I recently change to a non-tapered string and found that on the lower strings (B and E) I had to adjust the saddles way back to get proper intonation, and the B string is still a teensy bit sharp. The only way to get more adjusment out of the saddle would be to take off the string and remove the tension spring from the saddle and shorten it by cutting it or leave it off entirely (though the saddle may move some without it there). I also found it more comforting to detune the string to take some of the pressure off the saddle while adjusting it back then re-tuning the string.