1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Set Up Kemper,Crest 3.0DSP and Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ogiebb, Apr 17, 2018.

1. ogiebb

ogiebb Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Rosenberg TX
    I rarely start a thread as most of the info I need I am able to search either here, Google or Youtube but I
    cannot find anything on this subject. tried looking at the manual and its no help.

I am using a non power Kemper Rack and powering that thru a GK MB800 via the return input. ive decided to make the GK my gig bag amp and use a real Power amp for the kemper instead I found a good deal on a Crest prolite 3.0dsp to power a single Schroeder 212pl bass cabinet so tried to hook it up last night and no sound. did I screw up the connection? heres a pic below

Attached Files:

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Are you seeing any indication on the Crest amp's B channel output level in the display?

That's not a bridged output SpeakOn cable, right?

Do you have the amp set up for the B input connector to route to the B channel input (I an not familiar with the DSP version of that amp), and you don't have the level set to zero, or the channel muted in the DSP?

Do you have output at the Kemper's XLR outputs?

(Each manufacturer's DSP offers different options and different ways of doing things)

ogiebb and BasturdBlaster like this.
  3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    no sound from either channel?
    try your bass directly into the power amp to see if it is working

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    ogiebb and agedhorse like this.
  4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    What output level is the DI on the Kemper? If it's mic level, it's too low. Crest wants about 1.5 V. Is there a line level output on the Kemper? That would be closer and maybe enough.

5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There's line level stereo balanced outputs on the kenper, be sure that's what you are using.

6. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Yep, you want to use a 1/4" TRS to XLR cable from the "Direct/Send" output on the back of the Kemper to your power amp.

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    No, the master outs are full line level and not simply mic level direct outs. The direct/send is a dual function output that defaults to pre-profile signal routing, and can be set to use as a send for the pre signal in conjunction with the return. It is Tip-Sleeve, not TRS. It may be possible to program this output post-profiles, but this is not the ideal approach for driving a power amp.

When using the master outs, there may be a menu selection for stereo or dual mono, generally dual mono is preferred because that way the effects are better handled by being summed. I do not keep up with all the versions, mostly the hardware side of things for interface reasons.

from the technical specs:
    ----------------------
    ANALOG OUTPUTS
    Master L and R Outputs:
    XLR balanced, ¼ inch TS unbalanced with ground lift max. output level: XLR +22dBu, TS +16dBu
    ----------------------

8. ogiebb

ogiebb Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Rosenberg TX
    Thanks guys .... I took the kemper and power amp to a local Guitar Center that I trust and found out the Brand New Poweramp was defective. as we tried different power amps
    on the kemper and it worked. we also put a Sansamp RBI on the Crest and also no sound.

agedhorse and murphy like this.