Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Set-up, neck relief and action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by justBrian, Oct 20, 2003.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    OK, so I tried to set-up my old G&L SB-1 and I can't seem to get enough relief in the neck. I like mine right about .022. I backed it almost all the way off and then started tightening it again-- a little at a time. I've tightened it pretty much as far as I'm comforatble with and the relief is still at .035 or better. That's too much for me.
    I also downloaded the factory set-up stuff from the factory website-- followed them through to adjusting the neck tilt. With it set at the factory specs, it rattles like a bastard above the 12th fret. I tried raising the saddles but that forces the action way too high. So I backed the tilt off some (about 1/2 of what I put on) and that seemed to work.
    Is there more than one problem here? Is my neck warped? Is my truss rod stuck? Should I remove the neck and start all over? Any ideas?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Had a somewhat similar problem.....I've set up basses for year but couldn't get this one bass to play like butter.

A good tech told me it needed fret work due to what humidity had done to several frets and the fretboard - $75.

3. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Sounds like the string-tension is too high for your neck. If you like "flats", TI Jazz Flats have very low tension. Many strings show rated tension at juststrings.com.

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Ahh... I just put on some flats--Fenders, to be exact. I do like 'wm too. Haven't really had problems before. TIs, huh? I'll see if I can find some.

Thanks for the info!

5. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    The new flats may be the problem. Some flats (unlike TI) have *VERY* high tension, and can damage necks.

6. Read this before you do anything with your bass neck!

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks Treena-- I've got that link saved on my comp at home. I also have the setup articles from BassPlayer. Both are really helpful.
    I was more concerned about the truss rod. It's already pretty tight and I still need to tighten it more. My strings will buzz above the 12th fret-- so I need more relief, right? I'm afraid of damaging the neck/truss rod. Arrgh!

8. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Here's what I did. I sold my five string and detuned the SB-1 to BEAD. The action is much more resonable now. Oh and it can shake some serious ass. ;)