1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Set up of Epiphone Toby Deluxe IV

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Toey, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Toey

Toey

Oct 16, 2013
    Sorry if this has been raised elsewhere. If it has please repost or redirect me. Thanks.

I have an Epiphone Toby Deluxe IV and whilst it is a cheap bass it is ok for my needs (small 5 piece covers band). I play it through an old Marshall 5520 amp.

My problems is this; when it arrived the action was so high I could drive a bus under the strings and the relief on the neck was non existant.

I have followed some generic online tuition and adjusted the truss rod to give some neck relief and adjusted the string height so it was lower and accordingly reset the intonation. But the strings rattle against the frets if the action is too low and when I raise the action until the ratttling stops the strings are too high. Is there a way I can set up the bass so I can have a low action without twanging against the frets?

This bass also has active pick-ups; how far should they be from the strings? The reason I ask is that I get a wowowowow sort of sound from the strings when I pluck them and I wondered if they were too close to the strings.

Sorry for all the questions; as you can guess I am fairly new to bass guitar set ups!

Thanks in advance...

Toey

2. Welcome to TB!

IMO, basses in that price range sometimes need extra work on top of a decent setup to get it where you really want it, but you should be able to get it close using the setup sticky here and the wealth of info you'll find here and YouTube, etc.

You'll be able to find the "sweet spot" for everything setup related in time, including what amount of neck relief and pup height works best with that bass. The pup height on active vs passive isn't really any different IME, andi believe it's the preamp that's active on your bass, not the pups. Try rolling the volume down a little if it continues to woOow after pup height is straightened out. If it still wooOOows after that, try a lighter touch.

I've been curious about the five string version of that bass. If I was just getting into bass, I'd definitely check em out.

3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  4. Toey

Toey

Oct 16, 2013
    Folks,

Thank you for your replies. Apologies for not thanking you quicker but I have been enjoying a well earned break with the family!

I'll follow your advice and see if that improves things and failing that I may have to bite the bullet and pay for it to be set up (I hate parting with money!!)

Once again thanks...

5. madrob

madrob

Aug 22, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    I suggest following this gentleman's video on setup. He knows his stuff!