Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

set up or style change? you tell me

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Mar 6, 2002.

1. ive noticed that when i have the action set lower, where i like it, i get excessive "clank or bang" against the last fret. i play fingerstyle. ive adjusted the string height a little higher and that helps. if i play harder though, same thing. should i try to change my style to more of a pull/pluck vs. bang/pluck. (sorry about that piss poor description) or can the higher frets be filed down a bit. as i type this im starting to think its a dumb question. but maybe its a common thing with newer players and i need to be set strait. thanks!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Try using a lighter touch, let the amp to the work.

3. JMX is right. I know a bassist who does the same thing, but unfortunately he won't listen :rolleyes:

Try just resting your picking hand against the strings. just let them sit there. Thats about how hard (ideally) you should play. Your playing should be flowing and free, if you can't hear it, turn your amp up. Even crappy practice amps have enough capability to get a decent volume.

If you can keep in mind to play softly. try playing as soft as you can or until the fret clang goes away. If you find you just touch the strings and its still there, then get back to us!

:D:D

Merls

PS i won't move this just yet. If it still clangs then it may be a setup thing.

4. thanks, thats good advise, i'll work on it!!

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Not only will you get rid of the noise, you'll get faster hands, a warmer more rounded tone, a broader dynamic range to work with, MUCH MUCH MUCH better intonation (people seem to think intonation only applies to fretless :(

It takes a while to get used it playing like that. IF you don't use compression, you may want ot consider it. Otherwise, you'll blow your band mates brains out until you get the technique down pat.

Chas

6. CHASARMS. the answer is no i don't use compression, should i? im not even sure what compression does. i don't play with a band yet as im only in my 2nd year of bass playing! if you can make some suggestions i would love to take your advise, thanks.

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Compression is an EVIL DEVICE dreamed up by guitar players to make themselves sound good and suck the life out of their bassists' playing.

::rant over::

Whew. Sorry.

In the simplest possible terms, compression "turns down the volume" on the loud spots, so the overall result is a more even-leveled bass line. This is useful for people who have difficulty playing evenly, but is despised by people who WANT to play with some dynamic range (some notes louder than others). Compression is also useful when the tone of an signal chain is affected by its level -- for example, distortion effects (or overdriven preamps, for that matter) change their characteristics depending on how hard you hit 'em. If you want the sound to be consistent regardless of how hard you play, you compress the signal coming right out of the instrument and then send it to the rest of the equipment.

From my first paragraph you can infer which camp I fall into. I absolutely do not mind hearing the sound of compression on my bass ON A RECORDING -- that is, after I'm no longer playing. Live, however, I truly detest the feeling that "nothing I'm doing matters" -- that all of my nuance and inflection is drained away so it doesn't feel like music as much as operating a pitch generator.

8. Ok, i might move this to Technique. The general consensus is that its technique improvement rather than a bass setup improvement.

good luck. ;)

:D:D

Merls

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Amen, bro.

As for you advocates of the 'light touch'...
    How would you assess Jaco's or Paul Jackson's touch?

FME(& FWthat'sW)-
    ...a certain amount of force is required; IMO, no amp is gonna provide the sorta 'bite' I'm hearing in my head. That's me, though(& yeah, I know I'm in the minority here!). ;)

As far as intonation on a fretted & playing 'hard'-
    FME(again), the problem lies in how hard the fretting hand is working...some guys will actually squeeze so hard, they'll pull the strings SHARP(couple that with the straight finger technique will = problems in intonation on a fretted).
    IMO, the plucking hand's force(or lack thereof) doesn't come into play on this issue...at least, I haven't experienced that yet, then again, I'm a tone-deaf weasle.

10. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Actually if you have the right compresser and have it set right it wont kill the dynamics. The one I like the best is the ebs floor unit. You cant really hear it
    and wont kill the dynamics. I personly never practice with one. But live its nice to control transients when switching between finger and thumb playing.