1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Set Up... (P-Bass advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by munkeyfish, Aug 1, 2012.

1. munkeyfish

munkeyfish Supporting Member

Hey Guys, Where can I find some good info on setting up a P-Bass?

I have had the same set up for some time, but I think I want to try something new, more even/lower to the frets. I normally have it Med/High on the higher frets because I dig in heavy, but I want to get into tapping and whatnot. And reteach myself to not dig in so hard. But want to still thump and get creative with it.

I had an Ibanez SR335 that I loved, it had super low action and was wondering if a P can get that action going?

Any and all advice welcomed.

Thanks

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Read.

3. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    To get that kind of action, you will need to have the frets leveled, and the truss rod dialed in with little to no relief.

4. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
  5. munkeyfish

munkeyfish Supporting Member

I missed the sticky, thanks.

6. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    As said before, lower the bridge pieces and flatten the relief to where you're comfortable playing it when it's tuned up, then adjust the intonation. At 12th and 19th frets the harmonic is the same pitch as the fretted note, at least ideally. If the fretted note is higher pitched then the active part of the string is too short and you want to pull back the bridge piece to compensate and visa-versa.

There's probably a sticky on doing set ups on Talkbass and there are a plethora of them on the web. A P-Bass is pretty much the same as any other bass and yes you can get good low action on them.

KO

7. Read ALL of the stickies and watch All of the videos. Each one will expand your knowledge and understanding. A proper setup is a complete procedure that must be done in the proper order. Don't rely on the instructions given just by forum members. You don't know which is qualified advise even though all mean well.
    Rocky