set-up question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman60, Jul 15, 2001.

1. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    ok, I've got two set-up questions. I'm thinking of getting a bass distortion pedal to get that slightly over-driven dust on the counter sound. First of all what is a good pedal to get? I like the sound of the ibanez phat bass, but is this a quality pedal? Also, would it be best to run this pedal through an FX loop on my amp if I have one? Or would it be better to just run it through the front?

thanks for your time
  2. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    This is a local forum, for local people - we'll have no trouble here!

(For those of you unfamiliar with the League of Gentlemen, this means the thread is being moved to Effects.)
  3. in my experiance, distortion pedals have always worked best infront of the amp. infact, when i tried to run one in the effects loop of my eden head, it didnt even distort, it just changed the tone.
  4. i didnt think the ibanez phat head sounded to great and didnt feel like a very quality pedal. I have the boss bass overdrive and its a great pedal but to fuzzy. I am folling aroun with ym friends ibanez tube screamer and seems to work very very well with bass and is built like a tank.
  5. shilohlane

Jul 15, 2001
    denver, CO
    good bass distortion is hard, but one pedal i have seen great bassists use is the electro harmonix big muff, but i always forget to check out their settings, and down at the local shop i can't get the thing to sound good at all-but KNOW that it can...
  6. about the fx-loop

i recently changed my setup, and i'm REALLY satisfied with it now ( except for the amp, which will be replaced soon )

it's like this

Sounds great, but you do get a lot of cables from your amp to your pedals.. 6 to be exact.. 2x input, 2x output, 2x mains
  7. My setup is attached. For all 3 of my instruments. I plug everything into the input, because there is no FX loop. It seems to work just fine. My effects all sound fine, except with all 3 on at once. Its a Flanged feedbacky noisy mess.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I borrowed my brother's Boss Metal Zone distortion pedal for a while and thought it worked pretty well for bass. You can get anywhere from overdrive to super saturation. And it has bass, mid, and sweepable mid eq for lots of variety. Although it's not designed specifically for bass it works fine and you don't lose any of the low end.