1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Setlist Order

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lastminute, Apr 23, 2009.

1. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    Hello good people,

I'm in one of many temporarily formed bands who are gonna be doing a one-time gig for a campus fellowship. We're doing just covers; my band is doing these:

Say This Sooner---The Almost
    Amazing Because It Is---The Almost
    Decode---Paramore
    Face Down---The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
    Fully Alive---Flyleaf
    Cadence---Anberlin

I'm trying to figure out a good setlist order, particularly a good opener and closer. Any insight?

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Hard-hitting attention getter first
    Attention keeper second
    filler
    filler
    filler
    filler
    Big finish.

Split the two The Almost songs up or make them into one song.

/sorry, not familiar with the songs, but starting big and ending big are keys to a solid setlist. Obviously if they're all big, great songs, then just start big and stay there.

3. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    Does the big finish necessarily have to be a fast song, or could it be a bit slower?

4. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    It should be the most anthemic, most memorable, and most good song you have. Doesn't have to be the fastest, unless the fastest is the anthemest, memorablest and goodest.

/I know my words are screwy.

5. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I agree.

Your first song has to get people's attention. Your second has to keep the momentum going.

But your most important song is the finisher. It has to be high energy, but it doesn't have to be fast.

What is most important is that you close with something very memorable. This will be the last, and therefore, the freshest memory people in the audience have of your band.

6. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    I wish I could be the judge of that, but in regards to "Cadence," I got outvoted 4 to 1 on it as the closer, so I'm trying to figure out if it's just me or them.

7. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    Screwy but correct. :D

You want to leave 'em with something that will have 'em begging for more.

8. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    Like I said above, Cadence by Anberlin got voted in as the closer, against my vote. If anyone knows the song, could I get some opinions on it? Should I fight it out?

9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Do you really expect OUR votes to make a difference to your bandmates?

10. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    I just want it as a peace of mind.

11. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    That takes years of therapy with a good psychiatrist. :D

12. Most of what's been said is good. When I do set lists for my band I open strong then build intensity using tunes with faster tempos and/or upward modulating key changes. (In other words if tune 3 is in A, tune 4 is going to be in Bb or C or D but certainly NOT in Ab.) Two-thirds of the way though I drop in a ballad for release, then build up again towards an anthemic finish. The Motown tune Ain't No Mountain High Enough is a great example.

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    LOL, never heard of any of them either, eh ? Me too. :rollno:

14. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    re: Anberlin's Cadence as a closer.

I youtube'd it here (), it's actually a pretty anthemic and 'resounding'...'rejoicing' song...which as a Christian band is probably what you're going for.

I'd call it a pretty good closer, but the end just sort of ends, with no ROCK ending. You NEED a rock ending. Come up with a good, kick butt, AC/DC meets KISS rock ending, and you've got a dang good closer on your hands.