Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sets with a wound F

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FBB Custom, Mar 15, 2003.

1. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I know Conklin Snakeskins 7 string sets have a wound high F. Ken Smith's seem not to.

Anyone know of a nickel round wound (not plain) F string? I guess it would be a .020 or something.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hey Matt, I don't know if this'll help, but Just Strings lists a D'Addario "Guitar/Bass" nickel wound in .024, GHS boomers Long Scale Plus in .025, GHS Progressives in .025, Ken Smith Burners in .020 and .025, and a few others.

3. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    I'll have to look into those. I did buy a 7 string set of Smith Burners once, and I believe the F string was a plain .020. Well, I know it was not a wound string, the .020 is what I can't remember. The plain string sounded and felt terrible compared to the wound F on the Snakeskins.

Some guitar string makers are making a wound .020 G string, I was hoping someone would be making a wound .020 F for bass by now. Maybe I'll try a .024.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i get a .027" wound high f. more mass and tension helps the tone, imo. i've used a wound .022" before, but i thought it was too weak sounding.

btw, the high f in the conklin snakeskin sets is also a .022", iirc.

5. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    John - what strings are you using that you get a wound .027. I think that might be too heavy for me, but my main interest is in finding a manufacturer with a nickel wound F.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    john uses sr2000's by Dean Markley...snakeskins are repackaged sr2000's, btw...they're SS strings, and the .027 string is the C string in the will lee guages, but john is a priveldged individual and buys custom guages from mister markley *bows* :D ...the .022 is wound. i had to buy a 7 string set of sr2000's because guitar center didn't have any 5 string sets of them :rolleyes: i just checked, the .022 and .027 are both wound...i know that you can also get a .018 and a .020 from d'addario that are nickels and you can buy them as single strings from their piccolo string line (XL series)...i have no clue as to whether they're wound or not.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I, otoh, prefer the unwound Ken Smith .020 on my sevens--brighter and cuts through better. I also think it has better clarity and is "sweeter."