1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setting a 4 knob Compressor.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Anyone able to give me some tips on setting my compressor.

I'm looking to get rid of transients spike that I occasionally get that when I hit just the right way I clip my amp. When I get this clip I get this unpleasent pop.

I'm using a Fender 53 reissue P Bass into SWR M2 Preamp into Yamaha P5000S Power Amp into an SWR Goliath IV 4x10.

The SWR Preamp has the 4 knob Compressor in it. Controls are Threshold, Ratio, Attack, and Release.

I am running the Power Amp 4 ohms Bridged with the Level on the amp set a little past half way and the Master Volume on the Preamp set at about half or a little more. My sttings here are what seem to be best concerning noise and headroom.

All I really want from the compressor is to get rid of those clip dudes but either it is not fast enough or I am not setting it right. Now undestand I have a pretty aggressiveplaying style/ attack and I have been playing so long I dont think adjusting my Technique is an option.

Also I only get them when Boosting the Signal just a smidge for Solos and they dont happen often just occasionaly. I would like to get rid of them though.

2. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Have you tried setting the gain lower?

Also, If it's a P Bass, are your strings touching the pole pieces on the pickups with the strings when you hit them hard? That'll cause a nasty pop.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I have got the gain pretty low to start with so as to not turn on the imput clip light.

Strings not hitting pole pieces.

I have done some studying and set this thing as best I can determine but this one occasional peak is getting through. It is a brain teaser at this point. Going to try and spend some time with it tomorrow.

Bardley seems as though you arent far from me. I live up in Talking Rock.

4. Where in N. Ga are you? I live up in far NE Atlanta!

Ox.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Edited my post to say Talking Rock before I saw your post.

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Here is a you tube clip of The Man himself talking about the 4 band on the new SWR Marcus Miller Preamp - hope this helps. :D

7. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    A good starting point for compressors on bass guitar is 4:1
    From the pictures of the M2 preamp on line it looks as if that would be right around 10 to 11 oclock on the dial.
    The threshold is what is going to take the edge off of your hardest played notes, you will probably find that somewhere around -5db should be just about right (provided this compression circuit works similar to a DBX160)
    The Attack and release I would leave at 12oclock.

8. Sorry for jackin' the thread, but that ain't very far from where we gig a lot of the time. We have done quite a few gigs out in the Acworth/Kennesaw/Canton area. One of these days we will have to hook up for a jam session! I know that jamontap from these boards is out there too.

Ox.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What you're describing is peak limiting. This requires a high ratio (10:1 or anything higher up to inf:1). Set the threshold by playing until you get those pops, then lowering the threshold until the pops are notably reduced. Then adjust the attack so that the spike does not get through, yet your note attack is not too muffled. The attack is tricky, the "perfect" attack setting is going to be a compromise, that's just a fact. Set the release at some mid-point, and adjust to taste- of any of the parameters, the release time is most dependent on your playing style. Given you play aggro, I'd think a fast release time might work best for you.

Check the FAQ in my sig for more info. :)

10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thanx guys will give some of this a try tomorrow. I would go fire it up now but my Wife would be chasing me with a Baseball Bat. :eek:

OxJ yeah we can sure get together sometime and compare notes. Be glad to come check your band out as well. You are welcome to come see us play also. Our next gigs are at Motorhead's on the 21st of November and at Fat Matt's on the 28th. No gigs before then I am having surgery on the 24th of this month.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thanx guys for all your help.

Bongo there are some very cool links you have there.

Truth be known I was playing a little loud so probably will not play that loud at Gigs. I had her cranking in my Studio.

Here is what I ended up doing.

I raised the threshold some, increased the attack speed, and shortened the release time from what I had. I also lowered the input gain just a smidge and turned down the level a little on the power amp.

At this point I cant make it clip now at all.

While I was at it I took the time to take apart my new MM Preamp and replaced the two JJ ECC83's with two NOS 1955 Mullard ECC83 Long Plates. Very nice I must say.

I hadnt taken the SWR apart since I got it. Should have taken some pics of the inside. Very nicely built. Nice, clean, neat, and sturdy looking enough. A lot of very minature electronics in that thing, very High Tech. I dont mean cheap miny pots, I mean High Tech Minature Electronics.

I should share this in the SWR thread.