1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Setting a compressor for killer harmonics

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Goregrind29, May 9, 2006.

1. I have a Rane DC 24, and i want to know how to set it up so that i can have those great harmonics that i know this compressor can give. I am looking for a solid tight tone, with killer harmonics, any suggestions? Oh btw, as many of you know, this is a Dual channel compressor.

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Any comp will help harmonics come through better, but not as much as strings, tone, and especially technique ... so I think you may be "digging in the wrong place".

I had a DC24, crossed it over around 600-800hz and used about a 1.5 ratio on the lows and 2 on the highs. Set the thresholds for 3-6db of low compression on fingerstyle and 3-6db of high compression on slap. Sounded fantastic.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Huh-uh. I use a wideband/single-band compressor - the Boss CS-3 - and heck: if I crank up the 'sustain', I can play sloppy-sloppy, and those things ping-out like I was a genius or something.

Joe